• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chez Francois, Vermillion, Ohio

Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience... I was turned on to "Chez" by a friend who is a boater; this is a great Lake Erie town and the restaurant is amazing. We sat on the deck overlooking the Vermillion River, with a really knowledgeable staff catering to our every whim. I love it when you can completely trust the staff for wine recommendations, etc. Can't wait to go back, and, since we're only a couple of hours away, I may not have to!

Amy in Michigan

I have been to Chez Francois for dinner twice in the past couple of years. On both occasions it was excellent, with wonderful French food and excellent service. I really enjoyed it. If you like real French food, you will, too.

They change their menu with the seasons (see their website) and they run an extensive program of wine dinners and other special events. They do an excellent job of communicating these offerings on their website and in their electronic newsletter.

It's worth noting that, in their main dining room, jackets are required for gentlemen and just about all wear ties as well. (You'll see more about this on their website; I would imagine they get a lot of flak about this policy, in this day and age of casual fine dining.) Attire is more casual for dining on the deck outdoors, and their website refers to the recent addition of their "casual Café". I think it's a good move on their part; I know I would have been back more often, but for their dress code.

Chez Francois is about 30 miles west of Cleveland; their website notes that it's 45 minutes from downtown Cleveland and 90 minutes from downtown Toledo. Those passing through on the Ohio Turnpike can get to it easily by taking a jog over to OH-2, without going all that far out of their way.

Chez Francois

555 Main Street

Vermilion, Ohio 44089

Edited by nsxtasy (log)