• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saskatoon Berries

Hahabogus

Since there doesn't seem to be any info around here on Saskatoons as in saskatoon berries. I thought I'd start a new thread on them. Nothings is a tasty as this seasonal berries picked at a u-pick farm and turned into pies, muffins, tarts...well you get the Idea. Anyone more knowledgeable on Saskatoon berries is quite welcome.

I was very excited to hear that they're available locally now. My grandmother always made Saskatoon perogies that were amazing.

I always think of them as a good sub. for blueberries (maybe even a better sub?). Whatever blueberries work in, you can use Saskatoon. Saskatoon pancakes are outstanding.

This year, armed with a few books on preserving I'm thinking of trying some jam.

I was very excited to hear that they're available locally now.  My grandmother always made Saskatoon perogies that were amazing.

I always think of them as a good sub. for blueberries (maybe even a better sub?).  Whatever blueberries work in, you can use Saskatoon.  Saskatoon pancakes are outstanding.

This year, armed with a few books on preserving I'm thinking of trying some jam.

J Pepin has a simple Blueberry tart involving a pie crust some almonds and sugar whirled in a food processn to dust mixed with frozen blueberries served topped with sour cream in one of his Books in which saskatoons would work nicely

We're usually so buried in local wild blueberries here that I've always used them in anything that calls for blueberries, saskatoons or huckleberries (it just seems to make sense to me to use a local resource rather than buy something less fresh from somewhere else when the end result is so similar). I recently made the Carrot Cake with Peach-Ginger Cream and Saskatoon Berry Compote from "Wild Sweets" and used some of last years blueberries for the compote instead of the saskatoons... it was tasty. If saskatoons were local instead of blueberries I'd do the same with them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Some little known "facts" about saskatoon berries:

10. In Saskatchewan high schools, "I had to pick the saskatoon berries" is a universally accepted excuse for lateness.

9. Under Saskatchewan law, children who fail to demonstrate saskatoon berry-picking prowess are deported to Manitoba at age 18.

8. Saskatoon berries are accepted as currency in most Saskatchewan retail establishments.

7. The government of Saskatchewan has declared that, by the year 2005, all motor vehicles in the province must be powered exclusively by saskatoon berries.

6. In Saskatchewan, an invitation to pick Saskatoon berries is tantamount to a marriage proposal. Likewise, it is considered impolite to pick saskatoon berries with another man's wife.

5. Disputes over saskatoon berry picking rights occupy 73 per cent of courtroom time in Saskatchewan.

4. The City of Regina has tried, on 12 occasions, to have the berries renamed Regina berries, but has always fallen at least one vote short to launch a referendum.

3. The RCMP detachment in Regina was originally established to protect trans-prairie shipments of saskatoon berries. The RCMP's mission has expanded over the years, and today its officers are working to interdict counterfeit saskatoon berries from Asia.

2. In a recent blind tasting in Paris, a saskatoon berry wine beat out every top Bordeaux and American cabernet sauvignon.

1. The scandal-plagued Saskatoon Berry Council was disbanded last year when it came to light that, after more than a decade of research and the expenditure of several million dollars, the best slogan it could come up with was: "Saskatoon berries: Kind of like a cross between cranberries and blueberries."

--