• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa

KateinChicago

Staying at the Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa and am looking for great restaurants within easy driving distance (as in less than 1/2 hour). Any thoughts? It needn't be the French Laundry but preferably fine dining or semi-fine in mid to late July.

Thanks.

Kate

You are not far from Sonoma Square which has the following (in order of my preference):

The General's Daughter

La Salette

The Girl and the Fig

Cafe La Haye

Della Santina

I know there is a new restaurant where Sonoma Saveurs used to be, but I have not dined there since the change over.

We also like The Wolf House in Glen Ellen, which is just a short drive away. Also, a little further up Hwy 12 in Kenwood is The Kenwood Restaurant. I haven't eaten there in several years, but when I did, it was quite good.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Cyrus in Healdsburg is amazing.

http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/

Agreed...but she's looking for something within 1/2 hour of Sonoma Mission Inn. Healdsburg is a bit more of a drive.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

You will love the Sonoma Mission Inn, we have stayed there 3 times now. There are two restaurants right at the resort, Sante is the more formal venue and don't miss the Lemon Cottage Cheese pancakes at the Big 3 Diner there.

The General's Daughter would be a very nice choice for dinner, we had a very good lunch at the El Dorado Kitchen, also. The girl and the fig is one of our favorite places, it is right across the street from the El Dorado Kitchen. Cafe La Haye is also very good as is the Swiss Hotel, we like to dine out on the back patio at the Swiss Hotel.

A little ways up the road in Kenwood is an off the beaten path type place called Doce Lunas, I had an amazing Wok-Seared Calamari salad there. Friendly people here and lots of local Sonoma wines to choose from. Have fun! :)