• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This was a novel brew

Malkavian

My roommate brought me a sip of a brew done by one of my old customers from when I worked at a homebrew shop here in Charlotte---a dandelion IPA :blink: Nose reminded me distinctly of bubblegum, figured that was just the mixing of dandelion notes and hops. Tasted okay, not nearly hoppy enough from an IPA point of view, but the dandelions (flowers and leaves I believe) added an interesting floral note. I'd have never given good odds on that coming out well in a beer (I understand dandelion wine is pretty good when done right though) but it was good--I'd like to see how the flavors came through in a paler recipe with less to conflict with (what i'd imagine to be fairly subtle) dandelion flavor.

yeah, the dandelion would have probably been presented better in a light wheat beer or a light ale. I've not had any dandelion beer, but a friend once made a mead with dandelion in it. As you said, a unique flavor that was not unpleasant.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!