• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guacamole

Anyone have any input on FoodSavers and guacamole?

Actually, yes, if memory serves me correctly.

We have had several previous threads on guacamole and I think the subject was covered pretty thoroughly in one of them.

Seems like some folks even fill the plastic bags with the prepared guac and freeze them.

Anyone interested in the subject should definitely check out those threads. There are lots and lots of great ideas and recipes, along with more tips about keeping it green, and why it turns brown.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only see one reference of guacamole in conjunction with a FoodSaver. Turns out there's only three messages in all of eGullet that touch on the subject...

Perhaps further discussion of vacuum sealers and guacamole wouldn't hurt?

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

When I make guacamole I usually make a lot! So I end up having some leftover. I put the leftovers in a small glass bowl, cover it loosely with plastic wrap (just so the guacamole doesn't get squished all over the bag!), then put the bowl into a foodsaver bag and vacuum seal then place it in the fridge.

Guacamole doesn't usually last long in my house, but I have had it remain green for up to 3 days after making it using the foodsaver technique. I suppose you could also use those foodsaver plastic containers, but I just use the bags. Never tried freezing guacamole.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only see one reference of guacamole in conjunction with a FoodSaver.  Turns out there's only three messages in all of eGullet that touch on the subject...

Perhaps further discussion of vacuum sealers and guacamole wouldn't hurt?

I thought I remembered considerable discussion of the subject, but I may have read it elsewhere. Of course, even had there been previous chat, it could never hurt to have more.

So maybe I didn't read it on eG, but it does seem to me that I read somewhere where somebody was getting ready for a party, and put considerable amounts of guac into foodsaver bags, then flattened and froze them until it was party time.

And I still heartily recommend those previous threads for folks looking for recipes, hints, tips, methods for preventing discoloration, etc.....

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I frozen it in a ziplock that I squeezed all the air from, and then vacuumed it in my Foodsaver to be safe. No problem. I didn't , however, have tomatoes in it, jusy avocado.