• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do Screwcap Wines Cause Breast Cancer?

Rebel Rose

A wine writer with an apparent agenda against screw cap closures has issued an undocmented warning about cancer-causing agents in screwcap closures on wine.

Wine Screwcap Cancer Links Hotly Disputed

I think the NZ news publication did themselves no favors by quoting interviewees in the past tense . . .

However, New Zealand Winegrowers chief executive Philip Gregan said PVDC was a food grade material that was approved for contact with food by all major world food authorities.

Past tense was used throughout the article, which is probably just their editorial style. But it creates the question: Is PVDC currently approved as a food grade material? That question was never broached nor answered in the article.

Perhaps one of our food technicians can provide more information?

And of course, the article raises one question that makes real sense to me. What about the screwcap closures on our vodka and gin bottles?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Screw caps have been used for years on spirit bottles and in the use of Saran wrap for the food service industry. I think like lead content in decanters and glasses the exposure is minimal. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and it is irresponsible for a wine writer to make statements without proven facts especially for an industry in his own country that has staked its reputation on the use of Stelvin's in wine marketing.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Hi Mary,

I love cork...this you should know...I think this is a bunch of bad press...I would never link BC with Click On Me

I think this guy should have his head examined...the closure would be the last thing I would hold suspect...nice post... :shock::cool:

Screw caps have been used for years on spirit bottles and in the use of Saran wrap for the food service industry. I think like lead content in decanters and glasses the exposure is minimal. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it....

I'll drink to that! :cool: