• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scrapplefest!

rlibkind

Therewill be scrapple cheesesteaks, scrapple burgers and -- hold onto your stomachs -- banana scrapple bread pudding -- at Saturday's Scrapplefest at the Reading Terminal Market, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., according to market GM Paul Steinke.

I'm out of town (I'll be circling the Dane County Farmers Market in Madison WI during scrapplefest, so I'll have to settle for brats 'n beer), so please, please, someone taste the banana scrapple bread pudding and report!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

i'ma try to get there too, in the morning, with the boy. scrapple seems like perfect baby food to me, as long as it isn't all fried up so it's cool on the outside and 9000 degrees inside. i mean, what the heck, get him started on the road to lipitor early....

i'ma try to get there too, in the morning, with the boy.  scrapple seems like perfect baby food to me, as long as it isn't all fried up so it's cool on the outside and 9000 degrees inside.   i mean, what the heck, get him started on the road to lipitor early....

Hey I thought that all of the scrapple creations were just for the celebrity judges at 2 PM accoring to the schedule I got. That bread pudding sounds good though. I am a bit shocked that Bassett's did not do a scrapple swirl ice cream for the event though...

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

i'ma try to get there too, in the morning, with the boy.  scrapple seems like perfect baby food to me, as long as it isn't all fried up so it's cool on the outside and 9000 degrees inside.   i mean, what the heck, get him started on the road to lipitor early....

Hey I thought that all of the scrapple creations were just for the celebrity judges at 2 PM accoring to the schedule I got. That bread pudding sounds good though. I am a bit shocked that Bassett's did not do a scrapple swirl ice cream for the event though...

A few lucky onlookers got a taste of some of the competitors' creations. A trio of young men from Delaware County who sported custom-made scrapple T-shirts promoting Scrapple's MySpace page, http://www.myspace.com/breakfastcandy, got one of the scrapple cheesesteaks all to themselves -- or so they thought: In a matter of seconds, about three or four other people, including someone quaffing in the Beer Garden who reached through the latticework, got themselves some too.

I had to finish my grocery shopping; otherwise, I would have stayed around to find out who won. I hope Paul e-mails me the results. :smile:

Edited to add: The rest of us got plenty of opportunity to eat scrapple too. J.L. Martin, Godshall's, Hatfield and Leidy's all had plenty of slices cooking and were promiscuously passing out samples. J.L. Martin and Hatfield had both beef and pork scrapple; IMO, pork scrapple is far superior to beef, and of the porkers, I preferred Leidy's over Hatfield and Hatfield over J.L. Martin. But to my surprise, the scrapple I liked best was the turkey scrapple from Godshall's (available at their Reading Terminal Market poultry shop and at area Acme stores).

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

A few lucky onlookers got a taste of some of the competitors' creations. A trio of young men from Delaware County who sported custom-made scrapple T-shirts promoting Scrapple's MySpace page, http://www.myspace.com/breakfastcandy, got one of the scrapple cheesesteaks all to themselves -- or so they thought: In a matter of seconds, about three or four other people, including someone quaffing in the Beer Garden who reached through the latticework, got themselves some too.

I had to finish my grocery shopping; otherwise, I would have stayed around to find out who won. I hope Paul e-mails me the results. :smile:

Edited to add: The rest of us got plenty of opportunity to eat scrapple too. J.L. Martin, Godshall's, Hatfield and Leidy's all had plenty of slices cooking and were promiscuously passing out samples. J.L. Martin and Hatfield had both beef and pork scrapple; IMO, pork scrapple is far superior to beef, and of the porkers, I preferred Leidy's over Hatfield and Hatfield over J.L. Martin. But to my surprise, the scrapple I liked best was the turkey scrapple from Godshall's (available at their Reading Terminal Market poultry shop and at area Acme stores).

I kind of liked the turkey scrapple best too. It's weird because Martin's was there and that is the same stuff they serve at the Dutch Eating Place apparently but they fry it there, and the samples served at teh festival seemed a lot less tasty because they were pan fried.

I eyed Tommy DiNic preparing his creations for the event. Each featured thinly sliced scapple pieces, two melted Italian cheeses, thinly sliced proscuitto, roast pork (I think) and was served on a long seeded roll. I tried to convince him (unsuccessfully) to stick some prosciutto on my pork sandwich because they ran out of greens early.

we also agreed that the turkey scrapple KILLED it. so good.

i got lots of pics but my digital is broken so i had to get a disposable and now i have to get it developed. i wanted pics of the t-shirt guys but we passed each other in an unstoppable sea of people and i couldn't find them again after that.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Paul DID e-mail me the results (along with a comment on my appearance in last Sunday's Inquirer "Image" section):

Scrapplefest 2007 Contestants

MERCHANT

DISH

CHEF'S NAME

The Winners

1. Harry Ochs Meats

Scrapple burger & scrapple fries

Nick Ochs

2. Down Home Diner

Scrapple sashimi

Jordan Shapiro

3. DiNic's Roast Pork

Pulled pork scrapple sandwich

Tommy Nicolosi

The rest of the field:

By George Pasta & Pizza

Scrapple, sausage, peppers & onions on a seeded roll

Greg Mosley

Carmen's Famous Italian Hoagies

Scrapple hoagie with provolone & roasted red peppers

Carmen DiGuglielmo

Cookbook Stall

Scrapple bread pudding with cherry/vanilla sauce

Stephen Taylor

Dutch Eating Place

Scrapple Western Omelette

Junior Esh

Fisher's Soft Pretzels

Pretzel scrapple roll

Levi Fisher

Foster's Gourmet Cookware

Foster's Scrapple Nouveau

Andy Unk

Mezze

Breakfast pizza with scrapple & steak

John Lopez

Evidently, what I thought was a scrapple cheesesteak was the scrapple hoagie.

The scrapple sashimi (topped with ahi tuna) was IMO the most elegant-looking of the day's creations.

Thanks, Paul!

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 month later...

Continuing the exploration as to what does and does not pair with scrapple -

Had brunch today at Rouge. Ordered the open faced scrapple sandwich - a slice of toasted french bread topped with sauteed greens, goat cheese, scrapple and two sunnyside up eggs. Goat cheese does not go with scrapple.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter