• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for restuarants in BBY/New West

I promised to take one of my friends out for a nice birthday next Monday night. Given our respective work locations we were looking for something near the BBY/New West border. Any suggestions? Thanks

How about Sunday or Tuesday? You might consider the Pacific Rim Grille on Austin in Coquitlam www.pacificrimgrille.com

Recent article about the Rim in the Sun: http://pacificrimgrille.com/index_files/Page960.htm

I was also going to suggest another night. Pear Tree isn't open on Mondays. There's also The Hart House & Horizons.

Along the Burnaby/New West border there's not much besides grow ops. Your best options IMO are in North Burnaby in The Heights (Hastings b/w Willingdon & Boundary). Bombay Bhel, Burgers Etc. and Thai Cafe are all in that block.

A.

I was also going to suggest another night.  Pear Tree isn't open on Mondays.  There's also The Hart House & Horizons.

Along the Burnaby/New West border there's not much besides grow ops.  Your best options IMO are in North Burnaby in The Heights (Hastings b/w Willingdon & Boundary).  Bombay Bhel, Burgers Etc. and Thai Cafe are all in that block.

A.

Arne, there are grow ops everywhere. :rolleyes: British Properties ... Westwood Plateau ... Let's stick to your promising suggestion and leave the topic of grow ops to the police and Hell's Angels etc.

As for other suggestions re: BBY/NW border, if you want to faithfully stick to that sliver of area then my suggestion is to go around the Lougheed Mall area. You have some choices of chain-type restaurants like Red Robins and Joey Tomatoes, Boston Pizza, Ikea if you want to go cheap and shop at the same time(!) ... other restaurants like that Pasta place by the strip portion next to Walmart/Liquor store - but perhaps if you have some adventurous and open minded souls in your group you may check out the many Korean restaurants there since it's got a heavy Korean influence.

I can't give a particular recommendation ... but if you know someone (I guess, Korean) that has some knowledge you may be able to find some good restaurants that are beyond the experience of this forum here.

Good luck.

Edited by bill_n_opus (log)

As for other suggestions re: BBY/NW border, if you want to faithfully stick to that sliver of area then my suggestion is to go around the Lougheed Mall area. You have some choices of chain-type restaurants like Red Robins and Joey Tomatoes, Boston Pizza, Ikea if you want to go cheap and shop at the same time(!) ... other restaurants like that Pasta place by the strip portion next to Walmart/Liquor store - but perhaps if you have some adventurous and open minded souls in your group you may check out the many Korean restaurants there since it's got a heavy Korean influence.

Is the pasta place you are talking about Anducci's? - the portions are unspeakably huge! If you are up to trying Korean, Insadong (they have deep fried chicken wings with a sweet & spicy sauce that are pretty darned tasty) on North Rd and Lougheed. A little further away is Honwoori on Imperial and Kingsway.

The closet Anducci's would be the one on Cameron St. Also The Old Bavaria Haus in New West is another suggestion.

Is the pasta place you are talking about Anducci's? - the portions are unspeakably huge! If you are up to trying Korean, Insadong (they have deep fried chicken wings with a sweet & spicy sauce that are pretty darned tasty) on North Rd and Lougheed. A little further away is Honwoori on Imperial and Kingsway.

A Korean BBQ place in the Burnaby/New West area that I know of is Mi Sun Rae. It's pretty cheap and good. But like most Korean places they're understaffed and most of the servers are more comfortable with Korean.

In New West Hi Dojo sushi on 6thSt and 7thAve is really good. The Chef is a young guy who trained in Japan. Old Bavaria Haus is pretty good if you like schnitzel done every way possible. Their spaetzle is really good, I could be mistaken but it looks like a traditional spaetzle. Also La Rustica is pretty good even though it's a little over priced, the room is very relaxing though. Finally if you want something comfortable and very welcoming there's La Spaghetteria the last three are all on 6th St. La Spaghetteria makes all their own pasta and bread. Very traditional...Just like Mama used to make!!! :biggrin:

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.

In New West Hi Dojo sushi on 6thSt and 7thAve is really good. The Chef is a young guy who trained in Japan.

actually, it's "Hi Dozo"...

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008