• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Ready, set, cook!

Florida Jim

It’s always nice when Mark drops by for an impromptu dinner and wine, especially when he agrees to cook. From our meager larder (we just got to our place in the mountains and shopping wasn’t first on our list) he made pasta with red sauce, grilled chicken, and, white beans with thyme. We also had a little goat cheese with crackers and some pistachios to start with. The following wines were served throughout the evening:

2005 Girardin, Chassagne-Montrachet Le Caillert:

The first Girardin wine I have enjoyed; starts out closed but spicy and by the end of the evening delivers youthful, mineral-infused fruit without too much oak and plenty of acidity; its still pretty closed but this has real promise, substance and my last glass (after about four hours open) was better than my first. 13.5% alcohol and imported by Vineyard Brands. Price unknown.

1998 Giacosa, Barbaresco Riserva Santo Stefano:

My first red label Giacosa and certainly no disappointment; moderate aromatics display solid fruit and good complexity; in the mouth everything amps up but still retains perfect symmetry – good fruit, density, finesse and structure, all in a medium weight wine that is more complex and impressive than this description implies; great length. Opened over the course of the evening but will benefit from additional time down. World class, without question; 14%, and imported by Winebow. Price unknown (and from what I hear, ignorance is bliss).

2001 Caggiano, Taurasi Vigna Macchia de Goti:

A rich wine with substantial but very fine and ripe tannin and lots of flavor; nothing overdone or sticking out and good complexity keep this in my wheelhouse. Damn good now, likely, better later. 14%, imported by Skurnik and about $50.

2004 Tenuta delle Terre Nere, Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana:

In this company, this is still the wine I’d pick for drinking regularly. It’s lighter weight, brighter, more fruit forward and seems ready to drink (or close to it), and, although it has good structure and tannin, does not overpower the palate in the presence of food. A delightful wine and built for having with a meal. 14%, Skurnik imports and $30 full retail.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com