• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Albert Uster's Beta 6 crystals

mpshort

A stabilized form of cocoa butter; you're supposed to add 1% of the crystals to melted couverture at 95F degrees. Stir well and wait 10 minutes before use.

Any thoughts/experience?

TIA!

A stabilized form of cocoa butter; you're supposed to add 1% of the crystals to melted couverture at 95F degrees.  Stir well and wait 10 minutes before use.

Any thoughts/experience?

TIA!

Is this not the same as mycryo? If so, check out this topic.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

not that i am very experienced in this however i have attended a lecture that discussed this. beta 6 crystals are the finest (in size and manufacturing) and will produce the best temper. you can mix it with liquid color and then paint your molds without needing to do colored chocolate or any other form of cocoa butter. you know how many times you work with the other stuff and your colors don't release cleanly, this should eliminate that problem. they are suppossed to be worth the money and i don't know comparison prices but chef rubber sells beta 6 colors that are beautiful.

nkaplan@delposto.com

not that i am very experienced in this however i have attended a lecture that discussed this.  beta 6 crystals are the finest (in size and manufacturing) and will produce the best temper.  you can mix it with liquid color and then paint your molds without needing to do colored chocolate or any other form of cocoa butter.  you know how many times you work with the other stuff and your colors don't release cleanly, this should eliminate that problem.  they are suppossed to be worth the money and i don't know comparison prices but chef rubber sells beta 6 colors that are beautiful.

As Peter Greweling states in "Chocolates & Confections":

Form VI crystals can be created only from transformation of solid Form V to solid form VI after the chocolate has set.  They cannot be formed as seed crystals.

He also shows that Type VI crystals are stable up to 97F, 3 degrees F above Type V

So if all this is correct, you can actually seed your chocolate with type VI instead of type V and obtain a slightly more stable product. How much more stable I don't know though. He says that type IV crystals take weeks to transform into type V, resulting in bloom. On the low end type I crystals last only minutes, so I would guess that on the other end type V take quite a bit longer to transform into type VI.