• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brain Teaser

jmridd

I was brainstorming applications for smokers and it hit me- is it possible to impart a smokey flavor on liquids? I was at school and asked my Chef, who seem bewildered by the idea- it had obviously never crossed his mind. I've heard of smoked maple syrup, but never anything like dairy, juice, or even water.

Just curious if any one had any experience?

I'm thinking cold smoked apps'- why not smoke your milk and cream with sassafras root for ice cream? hickory smoked vinegars? black tea leaves+orange peel+vanilla+cinnamon stick smoked honey?

I've tried something similar to what you're talking about.

The application was a sauce that simmered slowly over a hardwood-charcoal grill. I made a "tent" (A-frame) shaped piece of aluminum that extended over the edges of the sauce-pot. I placed the pot at the coldest corner of the grill. The sauce was a simple chicken-stock reduction with a few extra aromatics. I placed two cornish hens at the opposite end of the grill and cooked them slowly over the wood. I left a 4-inch opening for the smoke to escape.

The reduction took on some nice hardwood-charcoal smokiness. I finished the liquid with alittle soy-sauce and maple syrup.

This would, in theory, be a smoked-liquid.

Cheers.

Trev.

eGullet Ethics Signatory

sure you can smoke liquid. just stick a container of whatever you wan to smoke in your smoker and get going. it works. it may contian some toxins etc but not nearly enough to kill you :biggrin: (soon)

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

This probably won't work but the first thing that occured to me, was to do a kind of "Bouquet Garni" of smoked bits. A piece of Muslin cloth filled with toasted spices and smokey, charred wood and simmered in your sauce.

Would that work, or am I being crazy?

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

When I make a smoked beer, I smoke some of the grain in my smoker, and also place a tray of water in the bottom of the smoker. When finished, I not only add the smoked grains to my mash, but also the tray of water. The water picks up alot of the smoke which is ultimately evident in the beer!

I do the same thing when I smoke a brisket. I have a tray of water under the brisket and not only does the water pick up the smoke flavor, but the drippin's from the brisket! I transfer that liquid to a pan and add some spices and some vinegar, and ketchup and cook it down to a very delicious bbq sauce.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

As others have mentioned, there are two methods. You can smoke/toast solids and use that infuse your liquid of choice. Or you can just place your liquid in a smoker and it will pick up clear smoked notes.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

i did smoked dr. pepper a few years back. served it with foie tourchon as well as cheese if my memory serves correct. it really does add an unexpected layer of flavor.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA