• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PENTHOUSE Philly..

Vadouvan

It clearly states, "featuring our Mix Grill cuisine". What is your question?

Basically it seems the concept is denim with tarts.

There cannot be any fathomable explanation for using the name penthouse if stripping isnt involved.

In the 70s, Harry Jay Katz wanted Sunday liquor sales and a Playboy Club. Fortunately, we got the former.

I'm reminded of a line from the North Dallas Forty film, "Tasty, but not very nourishing."

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

if it's like the new york penthouse restaurant, it'll have some of the best steaks in town (bruni's review of penthouse executive club in this week's times)

That was perhaps the worst restaurant review ever written.

Here is the perspective I agree with....

http://www.eatdrinkonewoman.com/2007/03/beef_1.php

The worst, no doubt. The bruni thread on the new york board is overrun with commentary.

I love playing with the language ("Hospitality Management Students Offered Swiss Stake" was the headline I gave a news release about Widener's semester-abroad program at Les Roches in Switzerland), but Bruni was masturbating with this review.

Not having read the Bruni thread on the New York board, I don't know whether this review was par for the course for him or over the top. But if this was representative of his style in any way, I can see why he is less highly regarded in New York than LaBan is here. The article's not about you, Frank. It's about the place you're reviewing.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Can you believe this garbage ......

http://www.motivationbrand.com/penthousephilly/

Wonder what's on the menu...... :unsure:

The NYC version of the place was just reviewed by Frank Bruni in the NY Timesthis Wednsday. Hilarious review, too.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

They're not related, right? I didn't get the sense this Philly manifestation was connected to the "Penthouse Exectutive Club" in NY, except perhaps in general inspiration. Makes one wonder if they're likely to get a strongly-worded letter from a trademark attorney...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com