• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porky & Porkie -- Yet Extant?

Furious Flav-or

International Smokeless Barbeque in the strip mall at 6th & Washington does a serviceable Korean BBQ. Good soups (the Tom Yum is my fave) and Japanese pancakes too. Not quite the same as P&P's, but will do in a pinch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

International Smokeless Barbeque in the strip mall at 6th & Washington does a serviceable Korean BBQ.  Good soups (the Tom Yum is my fave) and Japanese pancakes too.  Not quite the same as P&P's, but will do in a pinch.

Thanks for the tip about ISB, Katie, but I don't know that I'd go back there for a free meal, let alone to pay for one.

I was headed to Pho Ba Le and missed them, as they closed early. Went to ISB instead and ordered Bun Bo Hue. It came with NOTHING the way that it should have been: no herbs, no lime, no blood, no sprouts, no nothing, and with bare traces of meat apparent at the bottom of the bowl.

I complained and was told that "you people don't eat that stuff."

"You people" ??

International Smokeless Barbeque in the strip mall at 6th & Washington does a serviceable Korean BBQ.  Good soups (the Tom Yum is my fave) and Japanese pancakes too.  Not quite the same as P&P's, but will do in a pinch.

Thanks for the tip about ISB, Katie, but I don't know that I'd go back there for a free meal, let alone to pay for one.

I was headed to Pho Ba Le and missed them, as they closed early. Went to ISB instead and ordered Bun Bo Hue. It came with NOTHING the way that it should have been: no herbs, no lime, no blood, no sprouts, no nothing, and with bare traces of meat apparent at the bottom of the bowl.

"You people" ??

:blink:

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. What a shame. All of my experiences at ISB have been good ones. I get take out from them pretty regularly as well.

You could always try Hello Cafe a few doors down. Not quite the same thing, but great cheap Hong Kong cuisine with no atty-tude. :wink:

I think good Korean is tough to find in these parts without some part of the equation being not quite right. Giwa closes too early and is too casual for a comfortable leisurely dinner, Kuk-Il is gone and I never got the chance to try it, ISB apparently has a problem serving "we people", Musictown at Front & Olney is far and fun if you want to sing for dessert, but I'm not sure I'd go there without my karaoke singing buddies, Beawon in Cherry Hill just turned into a nightmare after our DDC dinner a few nights ago. Mrbigjas has to let us in on the secret places he's been keeping to himself, I think. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hey, I'm game whenever anyone wants to sing for (or after) their supper, funds permitting.

Edited to add: Speaking of singing, we have a concert coming up in two weeks. I'd love to see some--or all--of you in the audience. If lancastermike can make it (I think he and his wife are planning to), so can you.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"You people" ??

Mrbigjas has to let us in on the secret places he's been keeping to himself, I think. :smile:

I say we beat it out of him if necessary! Just came back from a trip to Dwight's on Lancaster Ave. for BBQ. I was jonesing for bulgogi and kalbi, but had to make do with ribs, greens, and cabbage instead. Oh, well, the Southern Comfort cake is at least some consolation.

:rolleyes:

i think i've already told you guys the places i know. pojangmacha, at 69th street -- apparently she's changed her menu to include some bbq, but she didn't change it so it's in english....

anyway, also jong ka jib up on n. 5th which we've discussed, but not for bbq. i used to go to woo rae kwan, but they are sadly no more. there's a place called pandolne up there on n. 5th too that a friend of mine highly recommends, but i haven't been to that one.

i always like miran, too, because they're really nice there. some of the food is really good, some is OK.

truth be told i don't hit up bbq that often, since i find the other dishes in korean cuisine more interesting...

i think i've already told you guys the places i know.  pojangmacha, at 69th street -- apparently she's changed her menu to include some bbq, but she didn't change it so it's in english....

The old White Tower. Been there, nice little place, friendly people, language is a bit of a barrier, but not overwhelming.

anyway, also jong ka jib up on n. 5th which we've discussed, but not for bbq.  i used to go to woo rae kwan, but they are sadly no more.  there's a place called pandolne up there on n. 5th too that a friend of mine highly recommends, but i haven't been to that one.

Never got into woo rae kwan. Went once, felt hurried, and felt like it was a bit overpriced. The H Mart in its place feels like a more than fair trade. Is pandolne the one with the incredible Korean fried chicken?

i always like miran, too, because they're really nice there.  some of the food is really good, some is OK.

Gotta look that one up.

truth be told i don't hit up bbq that often, since i find the other dishes in korean cuisine more interesting...

Love the spicy squid up at Assi from the food court. My challenge is learning to make some of this myself. Haven't taken the time yet with Korean.

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

i think i've already told you guys the places i know.  pojangmacha, at 69th street -- apparently she's changed her menu to include some bbq, but she didn't change it so it's in english....

The old White Tower. Been there, nice little place, friendly people, language is a bit of a barrier, but not overwhelming.

exactly. and they're SO NICE. my friend calls the lady who runs it 'mom'.

but really her specialty is gamjjatang. and whether or not she knows it, she makes the best haemul pajun in the world.

Never got into woo rae kwan. Went once, felt hurried, and felt like it was a bit overpriced. The H Mart in its place feels like a more than fair trade.

the key thing was woo rae kwan was the banchan. we sometimes got close to a dozen of the things--more than anywhere else i've been in town. i mean, steamed egg custard, like four kinds of kimchi, this thing with a hot dog in it, myulchi, this other thing that was like a small pickled mackerel.... they used to give us stuff we'd never seen before. other than that it was a little expensive and a little tame for some people, but the private rooms ruled.

Is pandolne the one with the incredible Korean fried chicken?

i'm not sure--he said he was going there for bbq lately, but i haven't been yet. i don't think so though.

i always like miran, too, because they're really nice there.  some of the food is really good, some is OK.

Gotta look that one up.

that's the jawn at 21st & chestnut. good dolsot bibimbap, and good mandu.

Love the spicy squid up at Assi from the food court. My challenge is learning to make some of this myself. Haven't taken the time yet with Korean.

start with kochujang, sesame oil, light and dark soy and you're halfway there...