• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthy vs. Unhealthy squid

markk

I was reading a local restaurant menu on-line and found this and chuckled and had to share it:

Fried Calamari

One of our signature dishes!!! We take a healthy portion of fresh squid - tubes only, no tentacles - bread them ever so lightly and then quickly fry them for a heavenly and most memorable experience. Served with your choice of sweet, medium or hot marinara sauce.

Gee, I always hope that I'm getting the healthy stuff in a restaurant even if it's not specified. :biggrin::wacko:

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

You've got a serious lack of imagination if fried f'ing calamari is a signature dish.

In Wisconsin we have the Tavern Burger. Farce du beouf sur brioche, if you prefer. Done wrong, it's a disgusting mess; done right, it's pretty darned good; done well, it's a farcing revelation. In the same vein:

One of my acid tests for Greek and Italian and Portuguese restaurants is how the calamari comes out. It's easy to do but pretty damn hard to do *well* and really tricky to be superlative with it, repeatably, no matter who's at the fryer that night.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

• 2 weeks later...

The fried calamari with no tentacles always weirds me out. Where did the tentacles go? Were these squid deformed? Yet, even more importantly, looking at the plate on that website, why are those 'fried' squid so white? I sense a chemical disaster, and it scares me. If we eat there and that comes to the table, will you hold my hand?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06