• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SELLING Reservations in Philly

Vadouvan

We were at the Four Seasons a few weeks ago to celebrate a batch of February Birthdays. I was looking at their computer reservation system and not only did they have a layout of the room they also had a lot more data toys to play with.They have a customer data base in place that can tell you how often you've eaten there (dates and times), the times you cancelled, the times you no-showed and what you ate and drank. If it's like any other data base it can sort to phone numbers and a service of res buying could be picked up over time.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

If a restaurant is that good (Vetri), I'm willing to wait until my reservation comes up. If it's that "in" (Per Se), I'll avoid it until it's available. Quality lasts, fad doesn't ... and as for gaming the reservations system .... if people want to buy and sell options, let them play with like-minde others on the stock exchange and leave restaurants and those who enjoy food alone ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

We were at the Four Seasons a few weeks ago to celebrate a batch of February Birthdays. I was looking at their computer reservation system and not only did they have a layout of the room they also had a lot more data toys to play with.They have a customer data base in place that can tell you how often you've eaten there (dates and times), the times you cancelled, the times you no-showed and what you ate and drank. If it's like any other data base it can sort to phone numbers and a service of res buying could be picked up over time.

Jim

Knowing firsthand this hotel chain's quest for excellence, I suspect that the database program you saw was customized specially for them. Of course I don't know this to be true but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I mentioned on another topic how eery I felt whenever checking in to Four Seasons around the world and how much they knew about me, no reason to think this wouldn't extend to their dining rooms.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Fer chrissakes: How may of us actually eat at potential PTT locales bwtn Th and Sat 8-10PM? I, for one, forsake any such booking, on account of the knucleheadedness of the scene. Let the exurbs have their fill at those hours. Gimme a quiet table on a Tuesday. Really. Unbunch the panties, and let an idiotic business idea either (i) suck on the teet of the clueless, or (ii) reside for evermore in the 7th Circle:

Proceeding then the current of my sight,

Another of them saw I, red as blood,

Display a goose more white than butter is.

And one, who with an azure sow and gravid

Emblazoned had his little pouch of white,

Said unto me:"What dost thou in this moat?"

To paraphrase Chef from Apocalpyse Now: Don't go in the moat.

Fer chrissakes: How may of us actually eat at potential PTT locales bwtn Th and Sat 8-10PM? I, for one, forsake any such booking, on account of the knucleheadedness of the scene. Let the exurbs have their fill at those hours. Gimme a quiet table on a Tuesday. Really. Unbunch the panties, and let an idiotic business idea either (i) suck on the teet of the clueless, or (ii) reside for evermore in the 7th Circle:

To paraphrase Chef from Apocalpyse Now: Don't go in the moat.

Say what ? :huh:

let an idiotic business idea either (i) suck on the teet of the clueless, or (ii) reside for evermore in the 7th Circle

True, true. Or even better, the 4th Circle:

Now canst thou, Son, behold the transient farce

Of goods that are committed unto Fortune,

For which the human race each other buffet;

For all the gold that is beneath the moon,

Or ever has been, of these weary souls

Could never make a single one repose.

To paraphrase Chef from Apocalpyse Now:  Don't go in the moat.

Wait, I thought that was Chef from South Park...

Fer chrissakes:  How may of us actually eat at potential PTT locales bwtn Th and Sat 8-10PM?  I, for one, forsake any such booking, on account of the knucleheadedness of the scene.  Let the exurbs have their fill at those hours.  Gimme a quiet table on a Tuesday.  Really.  Unbunch the panties, and let an idiotic business idea either (i) suck on the teet of the clueless, or (ii) reside for evermore in the 7th Circle:

To paraphrase Chef from Apocalpyse Now:  Don't go in the moat.

It is this kind of assumption that makes the Philly board unkind. Guess what cinghiale, some of "us" cant get to a dinner out in Philadelphia unless it is a Saturday night between 8-10. Some of "us" work long weekday hours and have kids and perish the thought, live in the suburbs. I guess we cant all be single, childless, urban and cooler than thou.

It is this kind of assumption that makes the Philly board unkind. Guess what cinghiale, some of "us" cant get to a dinner out in Philadelphia unless it is a Saturday night between 8-10. Some of "us" work long weekday hours and have kids and perish the thought, live in the suburbs. I guess we cant all be single, childless, urban and cooler than thou.

Chowfun, please do not be deterred by the occasional post that reflects obvious intoxication.

There is this continous bias against people who dine on weekends or people who come from New Jersey as a "bridge and tunnel" crowd, Frankly all these nasty categorisations reflect insecurity more than any substantive view of the dynamics of how restaurants function.

Can we also say what we want to say in "english" without quoting Chaucer and Yeats, we are beginning to confuse e gullet with humanities class at Dartmouth.

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

Chowfun, please do not be deterred by the occasional post that reflects obvious intoxication.

There is this continous bias against people who dine on weekends or people who come from New Jersey as a "bridge and tunnel" crowd, Frankly all these nasty categorisations reflect insecurity more than any substantive view of the dynamics of how restaurants function.

Can we also say what we want to say in "english" without quoting Chaucer and Yeats, we are beginning to confuse e gullet with humanities class at Dartmouth.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Vadouvan. Thanks.

Eileen

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

[by the occasional post that reflects obvious intoxication.

Really, I haven't noticed that. Or at least not in Philly, yet. It is definitely in the NYC board though, although perhaps not as pronounced as some other biases.

You recognized that as Yeats and Chaucer? Better than moi.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.