• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deux Cheminees

steflink

So who went?

Whatcha get?

Unless they have a time machine, nobody and nothing; it's next weekend...

It tooks like the website has been changed. I am pretty sure it used to say that the sale was last weekend. We were going to go but never made it. Maybe it did not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

we got there at 7:20 in the a.m. there was a line a dozen deep. a few minutes in to the wait we saw a few people come out with arms loaded and we realized that we were at the end of the line, not the beginning. the inside was already full!

when we eventually got inside we were unfortunately underwhelmed. there was a nice library of non-cookbooks (BORING!) a huge collection of cows and pigs, some furniture and some glassware (200$ crystal decanters, a 20$ glass decanter, some low-quality stemware), some prints and the much-heralded copperware collection.

while the copper was impressively heavy and old-looking, half of it was there when we got upstairs and what was left was a couple of huge preserve pans that were huge and 350$, a couple of large saucepans that were 300$ and some teeny little things that could have been used for tarts i guess.

all-in-all there was some nice stuff, some ok stuff and some junk, like most yard-sales. my mom really wanted a preserve pan but not one that's bigger than her kitchen and 350$. i didn't find any of the cool serving utensils and antique tools i was looking for, but what was there might have walked out with the first 80 people that got in line at 5 a.m. people who bought the copper were no doubt paying for a piece of history, as newer and probably better (stainless-lined) stuff can be bought for less. it was a pack of buzzards!

anecdote: there was a little piece of sheet music in a frame that i'm pretty sure was an original penned by mozart. very old-looking and crinkled with a mini-portrait of the author beside it. i heard a lady saying "he wants 100$ for a piece of music!" in an outraged voice.

this stuff was priced to make money, not to dissapear out the door as fast as possible. i left with a pyrex pie plate ($2) that i could get at any store. i brought $450 in cash and spent 2$. ah well.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

I made a last minute decision to go, and I was a little disappointed.

I got there around 10am, and judging by matt’s post, all the good stuff was gone.

The nicest stuff that was there was the copper pots, priced very expensive for my blood. What looked to be a huge paella pan was around $600. The other copper pots were around the same price. Reasonably priced? Perhaps, but I would need help just to lift that damn thing.

There were some pieces of furniture and lamps. Also for sale were glasses, and a set of dishes — about $400 for several full settings. The thing that I had my eye on was a glass-enclosed bookcase for $500. Lots of posters, but nothing that caught my eye as unique.

But everything else was, er…things you’d find at a yard sale. Mugs were going for $5. A basket of umbrellas that people left was $20(!) There were cookie jars, glass pitchers, cow and pig-related items, and other tchotckes. Books (not of the cooking variety) were around $5.

And no, that gorgeous table wasn't for sale.

If I looked really hard, I probably would have walked away with something just for memorabilia's sake, but sadly there just wasn't anything that I wanted to take home.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

oh yeah that table! really nice round table, maybe 6' in diameter made out of wooden wine boxes. NICE wine boxes.

i has a pixture of it somehwere...

and if by paella pan you mean the preserving basin

(pix here: http://www.thefrenchhouse.net/prodrange/show/2160 )

yeah. that's what i wanted too. :\

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 2 weeks later...

my gf and i went last night for a first and final dinner (closes for good on friday). it was our joint birthday treat to each other (sounds better than 'going dutch') so we got all dressed up. we had a perfect experience. great food and drinks, perfect service, got to meet and chat with the chef afterwards. i'll write more about the food when she's around to help me remember everything.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly