• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasita

Nathan

New spot in the hood.

small but interesting wine list.

stopped by last night...had had dinner so just had a snack...a variety of small plates...along the empanada, arepa, olives line.

the big attraction is a glorious massive beautiful brick oven in the back. they use it for a variety of interesting pizzas (they should use it for other things as well...a la Peasant). this could be a find.

I tried Pasita recently and thought it was a great neigborhoody place (though it's not my neighborhood). I only tried the pizzas, not the pasapalos a.k.a. tapas, but I get the feeling that the brick oven pies might be better than the snacks. The wine list is short but I had a good Argentinian malbec. It seems like one of those restaurants that has a lot of potential but doesn't jump out at you.

More on Pasita:

http://www.project-me.com/2007/02/pasita.html

• 3 weeks later...

finally got around to trying the pizzas. that gorgeous oven imparts a nice crust. the ropa vieja pie was a standout.

apparently they don't actually have a chef, explaining the limited menu, but they're aware of the possibilities of that oven (its quite Peasant like)...so a more interesting and expanded menu may be in the cards...

Yea, nice selection of mostly Spanish wines at reasonable prices. The deep fried app sampler of Tequenos, Yuca fries and empanadas was forgettable but the side of guacamole (for dipping) was very good. They should do something featuring it. The apps in general are not impressive. Given their amazing brick oven I think they could utilize it better as Nathan implied.

The 12'' pizzas were excellent though. Reminded me of Otto's. Super light, thin crust, nice char and very fresh ingredients. The Ropa w/caramelized onions was, as Nathan said, exceptional (I believe Time Out made mention of it). The meat, very moist and flavorful (not dry as you might expect). Also impressed with the qlty of cheeses used in the queso y queso. Nice combo of flavors with a goat cheese finish.

Service was attentive and friendly. The room is casual and warm. Owner, Joel and his staff make you feel very welcome.

That wasn't chicken