• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheeseburger Highway- Route 202

mod*betty

Just an observation from my trip today down 202- the strip between West Chester and Wilmington has turned into a Cheeseburger destination!

Not even counting Jimmy John's, but you could if you wanted to, we've got:

5 Guys

Jakes

Cheeburger Cheeburger (just hiring now)

and my fave The Charcoal Pit

and those are just the burger-centric places not including fast food or restaurants that serve burgers.

I sense a day of eating coming up!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

There's a good one on 322 between 95 and 202 also.

Can't remember the name, but it was like an old-style burger joint,

or at least like what I think an old-style burger joint should look like.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Herb, are you thinking of Ruby's which is on Rt1 on the way to 322 via 202.

I have not tried their burgers, but I do remember them having "Kobe" burgers on the menu.

Possibly, but I don't think so, if for no other reason than I would remember that name, since there's also a Ruby's Diner in Ardmore and the Ruby Tuesday chain.

Or at least, that's how my brain memory works.

I remember it being on the right side as I was on 322 going west (although on the map, it's really north).

Counter service, large model train set/something similarly entertaining in the middle of the dining room.

Can't remember anything else distinctive, other than reading a history of the place, and it was there for at least 20 years.

Also not sure of when I will be taking that road again, so no luck that way.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Herb, are you thinking of Ruby's which is on Rt1 on the way to 322 via 202.

I have not tried their burgers, but I do remember them having "Kobe" burgers on the menu.

Possibly, but I don't think so, if for no other reason than I would remember that name, since there's also a Ruby's Diner in Ardmore and the Ruby Tuesday chain.

Or at least, that's how my brain memory works.

I remember it being on the right side as I was on 322 going west (although on the map, it's really north).

Counter service, large model train set/something similarly entertaining in the middle of the dining room.

Can't remember anything else distinctive, other than reading a history of the place, and it was there for at least 20 years.

Also not sure of when I will be taking that road again, so no luck that way.

Ah, the train set rings a bell. The name of the place is "Jimmy John's Pipin Hot Sandwiches", I was there a couple years ago. As I recall there wasn't much special about the place, except that everything was dirt cheap. My milkshake was just a cup of runny ice cream. I definitely got what I paid for. I also noticed they were still serving "Freedom Fries".

Jimmy Johns is on 202 just north of Route 1. I think of it as a hot dog place, as does Holly.

It's also a favorite of a my friend Don, a retired Hormel salesman. While Don never met a hot dog he didn't like, he does like some much better than others.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.