• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marinades

zpzjessica

I love cooking (and eating!) steak, and decided to make a new marinade to try. I wasn't cooking for anyone else but myself at the time and decided that if it was awful, I was the only one who could complain! :raz:

So...in a bowl, I mixed three parts worcestershire sauce and one part soy sauce (the 'part' size just depends on how big your piece of meat is), a tablespoon of A1, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and sprinklings of ground peppercorn, black pepper, and a tiny bit of salt. I mixed the marinade and then put it into a plastic ziploc bag along with the meat and made sure all of the meat was covered.

I let it sit in the fridge for about an hour and a half and when I took it out and cooked it, it was DELICIOUS!

Just thought I'd share a success story, since I'm a fairly novice cook! :smile:

That sounds delicious! I'm partial to rubs instead of marinades.....I tend to throw spices together on a whim. The last rub I did had:

granulated garlic

black pepper

cayenne pepper

smoked paprika

oregano

brown sugar

Madras curry powder

The curry powder added an intriguing twist....definitely had people guessing, but they liked it!

I can definitely respect the simplest route...salt, black pepper.....for really good cuts of meat. For regular ol' Choice meat from the supermarket, though, I like to have fun. Sounds like you do too! Keep experimenting, and post up your new discoveries! :biggrin:

I really love marinating skirt steak or flank steak in chimichurri. Usually I will only leave the steak in for about an hour since there is quite a bit of acid in the sauce. Grilled then sliced thin and topped with extra chimichurri makes a great meal all by itself. This also makes a wonderful filling for fajitas.