• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Livin' large

Florida Jim

2005 Tête, Juliénas:

Sappy, lively, elegant, layered, supple wine that has character and lots of fruit and length. It’s a little early on the drinking curve but it’s so tasty it’s difficult to stay away from. Imported by Louis/Dressner and about $18; worth more.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

As usual, deeper, more viscous and fleshy than most Muscadet; also beautifully integrated and detailed with a finish forever and terrific cut. A truly great wine in every sense of the word. Imported by Louis/Dressner and $7 on sale; worth multiples of that.

1999 Nigl, Saivignon Blanc:

Austrian sauvignon that smells like perm solution and tastes similar, although not as bad. I have had other bottles of this that have been lovely. I’ll leave it in the fridge awhile and see if it changes. Imported by Michael Skurnick wines and about $24 on release; judgment reserved.

2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:

Soave with bite; all garganega, no wood and so fresh and lively in the mouth it even pairs with fresh tomatoes, yet there is also depth of flavor and good sustain, making this one very versatile and delicious wine. Imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $17; I’d buy it again at that price.

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Albéric Bouvet:

Smokey bacon, black raspberries, garrigue and mineral nose that is so complex its hard to stop smelling it; flavors follow the nose with some depth, excellent complexity, a silken texture, a solid structure and an endlessly layered finish. No evidence of brett here and this was just singing. Côte-Rôtie, move over. Imported by Eric Solomon and about $9 on sale; worth multiples.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Albéric Bouvet:

Smokey bacon, black raspberries, garrigue and mineral nose that is so complex its hard to stop smelling it; flavors follow the nose with some depth, excellent complexity, a silken texture, a solid structure and an endlessly layered finish. No evidence of brett here and this was just singing. Côte-Rôtie, move over. Imported by Eric Solomon and about $9 on sale; worth multiples.

Best, Jim

Darn - reading your notes makes me thirsty, and this commendation 'Côte-Rôtie, move over' makes me want to rush out and buy some.

Sadly, a quick Google search in the UK indicates a cost, even for the 2004, of £12.95 or $25.

You would imagine that shipping from France to the UK would be cheaper than to the US.

Oh well.