• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

January 2007: Bath’s + Bistro du Dome Updates

PaulaJ

I visited this small restaurant located on rue de la Tremoille/ 8th

for lunch. I arrived at 12:30 and within 15 minutes had ordered, received my aperitif, Badoit AND glass of wine, plus some small puff pastries

and the mis en place of a morsel of lotte w. asparagus puree.

Soon to follow were [the menu, 30 euros]

-a farmer's pate which tasted like canned corned beef,i.e.

chunky and uninteresting. What could/should have been nubbins

of fat, liver or pistachios [or so I had hoped] were filled w. lentils and

slivers of carrots.

-a generous portion of salmon fillet, cooked slightly on the underside but almost qualifying as sushi on top, sitting atop a bed of [more] lentils

-an insipid scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled w. chocolate sauce,accompanied by a wafer.

I didn't care for the pace of service, menu or cuisine offered in this

restaurant. I don't understand how it earned a star and won't return.

• 2 years later...

I am going to Paris the last 2 weeks of September and have booked Maison Courtine and Bath's, both one stars, among others as part of my dining schedule. Does anyone know if these are worthwhile selections? I picked them out of curiosity since I have never seen anything about them on this board or elsewhere.

Bath's is excellent, as is the family who runs it, Mr. Bath (chef) and his son, Stephane, the manager. I had a very memorable Velouté de Lentilles au Bonbons de Foie Gras - a sort of potato pastry injected with hot foie gras and truffle oil! Memorable! Unfortunately, they have replaced the "bonbons" with maigret de canard (which is actually just about as good). Great Salers steak, and red wine selection as well...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 2 years later...

January 2007: Bath’s + Bistro du Dome Updates

7.0 Bath’s, 25, rue Bayen in the 17th, 01.45.74.74.74, closed Sundays, has been at this new address, (ex-Beatilles), with a new lunch “menu” for just a few weeks. Four of us went and had a splendid meal. There’s a 25 € (yes, that’s not a misprint) menu on which are five entrées, four mains and four desserts. For firsts we shared a carpaccio of pied de porc (super), a “wok” prepared (really steamed) dish of winter veggies and extremely thinly sliced and finely seasoned foie gras. Seconds consisted of nice beef and a risotto with cepes as well as two different cod preparations which were the same size, but the one on the menu was atop eggplant on toast and topped with grilled red pepper slices and was part of the 25 € menu; whereas the other sat on a layer of mashed potatoes mixed and colored with olives and cost 23 €, – all though were quite good. Finally, we shared three desserts, a not quite runny enough for me moelleux of chocolate with mint ice cream, a fine tarte tatin and a confiture (vieux garcons) of blueberries. Coffee and terrific mignardises of chocolatre strips and bent miniature tuiles rounded off the meal. With two bottles of Chinon Rouge our bill was 160 €/4.

Bistrot du Dome in the 14th. Colette insists that I relate that she had the best meal of the past six days at this place we’ve been frequenting since it opened in the summer of 1991. Specifically, she thought her scallops, said to be a la plancha, were the best prepared and best product so far (PS, she later stated that her scallops at Ecallier du Bistrot + Spring were every bit as good). A small note; our bill was 84.10 € for just two entrees (marinated crevettes atop guacamole atop tomato in sauce and rougets over a veggie remoulade) and one main (the scallops), wine and coffee. That’s versus La Maree Passy the day before where we had three entrees (supions with sweet garlic, a huge portion of langoustines and gambas tandoori (really, tempura)), one main (a huge whole bar), two desserts, wine and coffee for 92 €. Mayhaps it’s a matter of small concern, but I think they’re bumping their prices up – and they no longer had the low-cost coques in broth or raie; rather upscale lobster two ways.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 years later...