• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutcrackers

Kim Shook

This year, when I put out my nuts for Christmas, I discovered that my old standby nutcracker had sprung a spring and wouldn't work anymore. I made do with a crab leg cracker, but would like to replace the nutcracker before next year. So, is there any reason not to buy the same nutcracker? I have always used the same kind - don't think I've bought more than 2 in the past 25 years and I think my mother has had the same one forever. And they are so cheap! But does anyone have one that is just so fantastic that I just must have it? Ta!

But does anyone have one that is just so fantastic that I just must have it?  Ta!

Nutcracker

I have one in this style that was made in France and purchased for me in Germany. I love it! It cracks all the nuts, even hazelnuts, without spraying nuts and shells all over. It has a good record of cracking the shell and leaving the nut whole as well. Not too much force is required for even hard nuts. :)

I highly recommend this type of nutcracker, but I have no experience with that particular brand or that online store.

--
Saara
Kitchen Manager/Baker/Dish Pit

The C Shop

But does anyone have one that is just so fantastic that I just must have it?  Ta!

Nutcracker

I have one in this style that was made in France and purchased for me in Germany. I love it! It cracks all the nuts, even hazelnuts, without spraying nuts and shells all over. It has a good record of cracking the shell and leaving the nut whole as well. Not too much force is required for even hard nuts. :)

I highly recommend this type of nutcracker, but I have no experience with that particular brand or that online store.

Yes, yes, yes!! We bought one of these this year & loved it so much that we bought several more to give to friends as Christmas presents. By far the best nutcracker we've ever used.

Its also great for opening Champagne bottles.