• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Margharita

nikkib

Hi, Nikkib:

Here's Jean-George Vongerichten's recipe below, but I think it's a needless hassle.

I do it with cointreau, lime juice, but I take a bottle of a good silver tequila, and pour it over about 1/2 a pound of peeled ginger. Let the ginger marinate in tequila for at least 3 days. It's easier than making sticky old syrup.... I got the idea from Chris Yeo's drinks at San Francisco's Straits Restaurant.

RD

ingredients

1 teaspoon ground ginger

2 teaspoons kosher salt

Ice

3 tablespoons añejo tequila

1 1/2 tablespoons Ginger-Lime Syrup

1 tablespoon Cointreau

1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

1 lime wedge, for garnish

directions

Mix the ground ginger and salt, and use this to rim the glass. Shake the tequila, Ginger-Lime Syrup, Cointreau and lime juice with ice. Strain into the glass, garnish with the lime wedge.

Ginger-Lime Syrup

ingredients

4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup)

1 cup fresh lime juice

1 cup sugar

directions

Combine ingredients and boil for 2 minutes. Cool to warm, then puree in a blender. Pour the puree into a fine strainer and press on the ginger to extract as much syrup as possible.

Source: Food and Wine.