• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent notes

Florida Jim

2004 Zind-Humbrecht, Gewürztraminer:

At $17, the least expensive Z-H I have seen in awhile but this has a very expressive, spicy nose and is just packed with flavor, bone dry, beautifully detailed, and, length that is not to be believed. I don’t drink much of this variety but I will buy this again.

1992 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Gently oaky, rich and ripe fruit, good grip and lots of layers. And at 14 years old, in no danger of fading. About $46, on release; I’d not buy it again but only because I have little use for cabernet – it’s certainly more intriguing than many present day cabs. at multiples of its price.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

Wonderful wine; it has softened to the point that it feels viscous in the mouth and the texture is satin but the flavors are still bright and intricate, the structure is solid and the finish is long and cleansing. About $7, on sale; imported by Louis/Dressner; I’d buy it again at three times that price.

2002 Barthod, Bourgogne Les Bons Bâton:

Lightweight, ripe flavors, silken texture and nice balance. A pretty, “little” wine but fuller in the mouth than these descriptors might indicate. Imported by Rosenthal and about $22, on release; I’d pay that again.

N/V Colet, Cava A Priori:

Very similar to Champagne with a strong bead, ripe apple and lemon-lime fruit, some yeast tones, 11.5% alcohol and a hint of sweetness. I like this but, among inexpensive bubblies, I like Nino Franco’s, Prosecco Rustico a little better for its bone dry delivery.

Imported by Vinos and Gourmet and about $15; I’d buy it again but not in quantity.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com