• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap wine racks

Fat Guy

At some point I must have claimed to be the office manager of my "office" (which is sort of true) and today I'm on about a hundred mailing lists of office-supply and related companies. I always know which pieces of mail resulted from Company Zero's distribution of my name because they are addressed to "Shaw Steven Attorney at Law." I even get sample products with that imprinted on them: My "Shaw Steven Attorney at Law" pen is one of my most valued possessions.

Anyhow . . . I got a catalog recently from Shelving Direct, and before I threw it out I flipped through it. It's amazing how many shelving options the modern corporation has. It's nice that people are out there thinking this stuff up. One thing I noticed was a page of utilitarian wine storage stuff, and the prices seemed exceptional to me:

Go to

http://www.shelving-direct.com/store/default.htm

click on "Storage Room" and then "Wine Racks"

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What you don't have a rubber mallet? You must not install very many hubcaps.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 10 months later...

OK - I just bit the bullet and bought the wine racks from Shelving Direct. Our concern is more for storing wine on its side for drinking, not for long term storage of valuable bottles. The shelving will line a wall of our guest room. Yes, I bought the rubber mallet. The prices is similar to Home Depot and Sears so I figure I may as well have it brought to our home all at once. Will let you all know how the assembly goes next week.

YOU BOUGHT THE RUBBER MALLET!?!?!?!? I thought it was supposed to be free with online orders. Or is that only if you outfit a whole warehouse with the shelves?