• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The source of inspiration for a number of your restaurants such as Jaleo and minibar are obvious given your culinary background. What made you open Zaytinya and do you have any other surprises in the works?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The source of inspiration for a number of your restaurants such as Jaleo and minibar are obvious given your culinary background. What made you open Zaytinya and do you have any other surprises in the works?

everyone knows I am from Spain and ultimately that will always be big part of my identity and say a lot in what I do. Is where I come from, is my context we can say. What you see on the plate from me is my story........Who I am where I am from where I worked where I lived who I work with. Is all there........But that is not all.

To me the food of Greece and Turkey has always been fascinating. there are lot of ingredient and flavors in common olive oil, citrus, lots of fish and seafood, they are wine cultures. Also some special things like avgotaraho which is pressed mullet roe a very special product that is rare even in Greece......I have been very lucky to have people in my life who can share with me the secrets of those cuisines. This week we have a famous Greek writer my friend Aglaia Kremezi who has been cooking with us at Zaytinya sharing her recipes People like Aglaia made Zaytinya possible