• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu

davecap

The NY Times had a squib this week that the Whole Foods stores are carrying fresh yuzu. I called a few of the Whole Foods down here in Philly, but none are carrying it. Anyone in the Philadelphia area know where to buy it?

Thanks

The NY Times had a squib this week that the Whole Foods stores are carrying fresh yuzu.  I called a few of the Whole Foods down here in Philly, but none are carrying it.  Anyone in the Philadelphia area know where to buy it?

Thanks

I think at Essene carries it. They are located at 4th and Fitzwater Street (Fabric Row).

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

There is no fresh Yuzu in Philadelphia, I can confidently tell you that.

I have been to every grocery store.

The only place that I ever found it was Midori when it was on chestnut.

Not even Han Ah Rhuem.

Midori got it from True world foods and Nishimoto trading in New Jersey.

The only retail outlet I have seen for Yuzu and Sudachi Lime is Sunrise Mart.

There is no fresh Yuzu in Philadelphia, I can confidently tell you that.

I have been to every grocery store.

The only place that I ever found it was Midori when it was on chestnut.

Not even Han Ah Rhuem.

Midori got it from True world foods and Nishimoto trading in New Jersey.

Which Han Ah Reum did you try?

Might a different Han Ah Reum one have it?

Also, what about Assi in North Wales (I think that's the name and location, there's a thread here somewhere.)

I don't know that it's worth visiting them individually though, and calling them probably only works if someone answers with a good enough understanding of English.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Where is that? JAS Sunrise Mart sounds familiar.

Is that in Manhattan, somewhere below 22nd, east of Broadway?

Very vague recollection of a mart, but I would probably only be able to find it by wandering around the area again. It was across from a great Japanese bookstore.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I wonder if Maido in Narberth has it? It is quite a trip out to the Main line from CC by car, but you could take the R5 and it's a short walk from the train station.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Not certain, but call First Oriental Market, Washington St between 5th and 6th ... that would be my best source.

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Where is that? JAS Sunrise Mart sounds familiar.

Is that in Manhattan, somewhere below 22nd, east of Broadway?

Very vague recollection of a mart, but I would probably only be able to find it by wandering around the area again. It was across from a great Japanese bookstore.

This post has been edited by herbacidal: Oct 13 2006, 04:09 PM

There are two sunrise marts herb, one in St Marks Place and the other on Broome just before west Broadway heading into the Holland Tunnel.

The problem with finding such ingredients as Yuzu, Sudachi Lime, Wasabi Root,shiro dashi, yuzu kosho, Matsutake, natto Beans ect ect......is that most of the Asian places in philly are chinese, vietnamese, limited Thai with almost no japanese ingredients. Japanese food has its own completely different aromatic base and you would have to have someone committed to Japanese Food not other Asian Foods.

None of the places on washington have anything beyond basic shoyu, oversweetened american mirin and extremely low quality kombu and bonito. Forget about fresh ingredients. You will only find basics like enoki and shiitake. You can buy all these stuff online though if you are willing to pay for it........Mitsuwa in North Jersey (Lincoln Tunnel) does a decent job, some food produce, fish is ok.......but it's worth going to......you can shiseido yourself silly....

http://www.mitsuwanj.com/en/index.htm

The problem with finding such ingredients as Yuzu, Sudachi Lime, Wasabi Root,shiro dashi, yuzu kosho, Matsutake, natto Beans ect ect......is that most of the Asian places in philly are chinese, vietnamese, limited Thai with almost no japanese ingredients. Japanese food has its own completely different aromatic base and you would have to have someone committed to Japanese Food not other Asian Foods.

None of the places on washington have anything beyond basic shoyu, oversweetened american mirin and extremely low quality kombu and bonito. Forget about fresh ingredients. You will only find basics like enoki and shiitake. You can buy all these stuff online though if you are willing to pay for it........Mitsuwa in North Jersey (Lincoln Tunnel) does a decent job, some food produce, fish is ok.......but it's worth going to......you can shiseido yourself silly....

Vadouvan

Thanks. Unfortunately, yours is the same conclusion I have arrive at as well.

Meat prices at some of these asian markets can be pretty good if you do a little shopping. I actually found nicely cleaned flank steak for $4.99 per pound, and with the price of beef these days, that is pretty good.

Dave