• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mung Daal kaa Keema (Mung Beans and Green Pea Mince)

A recipe that brings a meaty texture and flavor to the vegetarian plate. Not many Indian dishes have been planned as such. This is one eaten in Kayastha homes. It is great with pooris, and for formal dinners with tandoor breads and a cool raita and some spicy vegetables. You can also use julienned fine ginger root on the daal.

dhuli mung kee daal (split, washed green beans) 2/3 cup

ghee 1-3/4 cups

4 medium red onions, pureed

10 cloves garlic, ground into paste with a few cumin seeds

Ginger (ground) 1 inch

coriander powder 3 tsp

turmeric powder 1 tsp

4 medium tomatoes, chopped

garam masala 1/2 tsp

yogurt (curd) 6 tbsp

1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen, shelled if fresh

3 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped

salt (to taste)

Clean and wash daal and soak overnight or for 10 hours.

Drain and grind coarsely.

Heat 1 1/4 cups of the ghee in a frying pan. Fry the daal in this until a light golden color. As you fry the daal make sure to keep scraping the bottom of the pan. This will prevent the daal from sticking and from getting too dark. Drain when done and set aside.

Heat the remaining half a cup of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Fry the onions in this until a nice golden color. Add the garlic and ginger pastes, saute for a moment or two and then add a tablespoon or two of water and cook for a minute or two. Stir in the coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook for a minute and then add the tomatoes. Cook till the mix becomes paste like.

Add the fried daal and 2 cups of water.

Cook on very low heat for 15 minutes and then add the peas.

Cook for another 10-15 minutes, and add more water if necessary. Remember the keema should be a mince like dry and moist dish. Too much water can ruin the consistency.

Stir in the garam masala and the yogurt and cook, stirring until the mixture is dry.

Sprinkle the keema with the chopped cilantro leaves.

• 1 year later...

What about gobhi ka keema? (cauliflower not cabbage)

and there is a south indian dish where they mince cabbage and cook it wth sprouts and coconut. its really refreshing and mild in taste.

What about gobhi ka keema? (cauliflower not cabbage)

and there is a south indian dish where they mince cabbage and cook it wth sprouts and coconut. its really refreshing and mild in taste.

We have discussed the Cauliflower Keema in another thread on meat keemas. It is certainly a wonderful preparation.

I have never eaten this cabbage keema you mention, sounds great. Tell us more.:smile:

PS:CLICK HERE for the Keema with meat thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to remember a Kheema version amd I couldnt remember, now I do.

I had made one using minced Bhee/Kamal kakdi ( Lotus Root). It wasnt easy to distinguish from the meat version, especially if you add some Meat stock. If it doesnt offend your diners, that is.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I was trying to remember a Kheema version amd I couldnt remember, now I do.

I had made one using minced Bhee/Kamal kakdi ( Lotus Root). It wasnt easy to distinguish from the meat version, especially if you add some Meat stock. If it doesnt offend your diners, that is.

Bhain sounds wonderful.

How do they mince Bhain? I can I guess use a food processor, but does one cook it or process it while still uncooked?

I have had Nadru made a few ways in Kashmiri homes, but I guess I was not lucky enough to have tried this variation. Chuk and Yakhni are more common and then the Kachri made with Bhain in UP and even Punjab.

Ah yes how could I forget the Kashmiri style too. Palak Nadru, Nadru kababs.....

To make the Bhain kheema boil sliced( coins) Lotus roots till tender in a rich stock(optional) and then mince finely with a knife. Do not use a food processor or you might have a bad hair day :laugh: .

Then proceed to cook it in your favourite Kheema style. You may have not come across this and neither have I. This is one of my crazy improvisations, one that worked!

Sindhis have a particular affinity towards this weird looking pipe that has holes in it and often add it to Chole.

Another cuisine that uses this often overlooked ingredient is Japanese( Renkon) and I sometimes make it as tempura.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Ah yes how could I forget the Kashmiri style too. Palak Nadru, Nadru kababs.....

To make the Bhain kheema boil sliced( coins) Lotus roots till tender in a rich  stock(optional) and then mince finely with a knife. Do not use a food processor or you might have a bad hair day :laugh: .

Then proceed to cook it in your favourite Kheema style. You may have not come across this and neither have I.  This is one of my crazy improvisations, one that worked!

Sindhis have a particular affinity towards this weird looking pipe that has holes in it and often add it to Chole.

Another cuisine that uses this often overlooked ingredient is Japanese( Renkon)  and I sometimes make it as tempura.

Thanks Episure! :smile: