• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EastZEast

As much as I am loathed to say it- Thom does indeed know his onions when it comes to all things culinary in the fair city of Manchester. He knows bugger all else about anything mind. But I needed a good quality Indian restaurant for dinner last week and it had to be central and he came up trumps with this place. My mooted option, the Rajdoot- from my distant youth was declared to be a bit blah and so we went for his recommendation - EastZEast. It is located underneath an Ibis Hotel which is a short cab ride from the centre and at the far end of Princess Street. Now let’s be honest- the name isn’t terribly good is it? What on earth does EastZEast mean? But the slightly suspect name shouldn’t put you off. Nor should the very subdued lighting and ubiquitous black leather chairs which hinted at them trying a smidgen too hard to be trendy. What matters was the food and this was bang on.

First up - were some popadams. I have to be honest - I am not a great fan - primarily because- like good bread in restaurants - I always end up eating far too much, to the detriment of my meal. My problem last night was that the pickle tray they provided was fabulous. All were home-made pickles and particular favourites including a gorgeous garlic pickle and a plum chutney. So good we refused to let them have it back and kept it for our next two courses.

The missus had very good Shammi kebabs- light and moist inside-with a crispy exterior. Her boss went for Seekh kebabs or as someone I am fond calls them- “Meat Tubes”. :smile: Didn’t get to try them but will do next time. I opted for some grilled lamb chops- which were excellent , moist and tender - and not too aggressively spiced, yet still having a judicious kick of heat to them.

Both of them decided upon the Karahi Fish Anari- which was pieces of cod, cooked with pomegranate, onions and garlic. Nice clear flavours and very slightly tart. I ate a delicious Karahi Ghost Dopiaza - tender pieces of lamb in rich gravy, redolent with cardamom, onions, and cumin seeds. We shared pilau rice a side of Okra and great giant naan. This was served vertically on a stand to rip bits off. I also quite like the way the chefs from the kitchen - come out to the table bringing your food with them, as opposed to the waiters who took your order.

With a salt lassi, and three beers the bill for three was a mere £60. I have been longing to find a decent Indian/ Pakistani restaurant since moving back up north- to sate my cravings for the fantastic food on offer at Tayyabs in Whitechapel.- looks like this place will be my new home.

EastZEast

Edited by Bapi (log)

Bapi you are a cheeky chappy and no mistake. Unlike yourself I'm a busy man though, so I will let your slurs ride. For now...

As I mentioned at the recent reconvening of The Trotters Club though I'm glad you liked EastZEast. I hope in survives and thrives inspite of the decor, location and the stupid name as it does seriously good food.

Bertie, what can I say. Some people you meet are recognisably classy individuals well suited to 'EastZEast' whereas others appear to have a dark and seedy underbelly, and as such are more suited to late night curry cafes such as Hunters...

Horses for courses!

Interestingly following the lunch Bapi, Gary and I had at The Weavers Shed on Friday - and let me stress that by 'lunch' I mean aperitifs, amuse bouche, two starters, extra bread, hearty mains, cheeseboard, desserts, more wine than you could shake a stick at, coffees, petit four and digestifs - I ended up back in Manchester around 10:30pm feeling rather the worse for wear and had... an outstanding Hunters seek kebab, eaten on the hoof.

Sometimes you need high culture, sometimes you need low...

BTW The Weavers Shed was very good, with the starters, especially the spring vegetable risotto, being standout. I am sure someone with more eloquence than I (not to mention more time on his hands) will give it a suitable write-up on here at some point.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Bertie, what can I say. Some people you meet are recognisably classy individuals well suited to 'EastZEast' whereas others appear to have a dark and seedy underbelly, and as such are more suited to late night curry cafes such as Hunters...

Horses for courses!

Interestingly following the lunch Bapi, Gary and I had at The Weavers Shed on Friday -

My underbelly might be dark, but I've never been able to grow seeds on it. Tubers, yes, but not seeds. I was wondering why I never got invited to the North-western get-togethers and now I know...; - )

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.