• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

blueberries

Soup

Blueberry peach cobbler. Just substitute blueberries for some of the peaches in your favorite recipe - the combination is better than either of them alone in my opinion!

Blueberry jam. Blueberries make marvelous jam, but they're so expensive in the grocery stores that I understand why people never make it.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Pizza!

I make a pizza to die for: thin crust, light tomato sauce with a fair bit of rosemary, topped with smoked chicken or duck, goat cheese, and fresh blueberries.

'round here everyone goes "YUK, fruit on pizza?!?" and move on to the boringly predictable pepperoni or sausage pizza that I've made for them. Meanwhile Mr. Abadoozy and I snarf up the blueberry one and chuckle at each other.

Here's a recipe for blueberry squares (written notes are brief because I'm translating from French):

Blueberry Squares

Base

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

1.5 cups graham crumbs

Topping

2 eggs

1 paquet cream cheese

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

Sauce:

3 cups de blueberries plus 1 extra cup

1/2 cups sugar

2 tsp lemon juice

1 tbsp corn starch

Mix all the ingredients for the base. Spread in a 9x9 pan.

Topping: Beat cream cheese and sugar. Incorporate eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Spread on top of graham crust. Bake @ 300F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients and cook until thickened (about 15 minutes), incorporate fresh berries and spread on the cooked base. Refrigerate and top with whipped cream. Eat. Repeat.

edit: Added to RecipeGullet

My baking imagination is lousy, so I have to ask; is that a 3 oz. package or an 8 oz. package of cream cheese? Inquiring minds and all that! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ok folks - the cocktails are in RecipeGullet.

Blue-jito and Blueberry Caipirinha.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love blueberries! One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is putting them in a blender with some nonsweetened yogurt, honey, and milk = breakfast!!

And freeze them! They're good in chiffon cakes too. :raz: