• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Gelatone

Based on comments from various members, I tried out Il Gelatone on Friday night. Found the gelato to be quite good and far more "authentic" ie, similar to what I remember from trips to Italy, than other products here. Specifically, I found it less like ice cream than a brand like Ciao Bella. The fruit or other flavor was much more pronounced than the cream.

I tried the banana, tiramisu and Baci. My wife had the Baci and Fig. I found the Banana and Fig to be my favorites. The baci was a bit disappointing. Next time, I plan on sampling the Nutella (Yum!).

The only negative was the "insult" pricing:

$4 for a small (two flavors)

$5 for a medium (three)

$6 for a large (four)

Okay - finally made it to Il Gelatone, which is on 28th/3rd Ave. It was, in a word, delicious. I liked it better than Cones. Not as sweet, and more interestingly flavored, I thought. I sampled about 10 flavors, and ended up getting a cup with bacio (chocolate/hazelnut), mou (caramel, sort of dulce de leche-ish but better, hint of cotton candy), and fig.

I spoke to the owner of the shop, an Italian guy - khao (who was with me) had noticed a sign that said "elenka," which he recognized from the gelato place on 4th Ave. between 9th - 10th. The owner told us that Elenka is the brand name of the "paste" he uses, the concentrates. The gelato base is made on the premises.

We read some of the articles and stuff that are posted on the walls: gelato has significantly less butterfat than "ice cream," and is also not frozen as hard. Those seem to be the main differences we read about.

There's a place called Bussola on 4th Ave between 9th and 10th, an Italian restaurant, that during the summer, opens an adjacent gelato store. They also use Elenka bases, and I think their gelato is similar, although I'd have to do a side-by-side test to be sure.

Here's the Elenka website, if anybody's interested:

http://www.elenka.it/eng/ptipodb.asp?sett=...ipo=polv&codp=0

The only negative was the "insult" pricing:

$4 for a small (two flavors)

$5 for a medium (three)

$6 for a large (four)

Do you mean the prices were high? I thought it was pretty reasonable considering how much they give you and the quality.

We read some of the articles and stuff that are posted on the walls:  gelato has significantly less butterfat than "ice cream," and is also not frozen as hard.  Those seem to be the main differences we read about.

LOL that's like saying filet mignon has less tendon in it than steak, and is cooked rarer :laugh:

Re: the prices.

I guess I find it a bit hard to "swallow" paying $5 for a cup of ice cream/gelato. That said, they were certainly generous in the portioning and, as I indicated, I think the quality is superb. Just one more example of needing to pay up for the best.

For unusual sorbets, my favorite continues to be Cookies & Couscous on Thompson. They seem so friendly there and have so many choices.

C&C is my fave way to end a meal at Lupa, down the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news on the Gelato scene;John Snyder,the orginal ice cream maker at Ciao Bella,has opened his own place,il Laboratorio del Gelato,at 95 Orchard St.He's serving 12 flavors a day,made from real fruit,nuts,and chocolate.I tried a few flavors today,and the lemon sorbetti was particularily outstanding,and the other flavors were also quite good.I have no affiliation with the place,just want to support people who make the real thing...

Good news on the Gelato scene;John Snyder,the orginal ice cream maker at Ciao Bella,has opened his own place,il Laboratorio del Gelato,at 95 Orchard St.He's serving 12 flavors a day,made from real fruit,nuts,and chocolate.I tried a few flavors today,and the lemon sorbetti was particularily outstanding,and the other flavors were also quite good.I have no affiliation with the place,just want to support people who make the real thing...

Oh man, I feel gypped. I was at the tenement museum Thursday (highly recommended if you haven't been) right across the streat and had 50 minutes to kill. We wanted to get out of the heat, but they hadn't opened yet. It seemed perfect but unobtainable.

The only other air conditioned option within a couple blocks was a combo KFC and Taco Bell where the servers are behind bulletproof glass. We nursed a club soda and Mountain Dew for a half hour. It felt like a little bit of the Bronx right on Delancy Street.

beachfan

Good news indeed. After venturing to a canceled fringe show and witnessing the somewhat careless transport of meat on the east end of Canal (think pork chops falling on the pavement) we had one scoop of gingery ginger and one of chestnut. Both perfectly textured, creamy, but not overwhelmingly so, with tiny pieces of ginger (fresh) and chestnut respectively. $2.75 for a small cup/cone, $3.25 for a medium, large seemed irrelevant.

Snyder was there, keeping a watchful eye on his ice cream maker, making sure espresso is properly brewed and milk is frothed to the right temperature and giving the overall impression that he well and truely cares.

M

I just went there Friday evening right before it closed. I had a taste of the hazelnut gelato, which was great but too heavy for me to get on a hot day after I had just eaten at Bereket. The orange sorbetto I did get was just what I needed and tasted of fresh orange. My only complain was the texture--more grainy and icey than I'd expected. I had to sacrifice several chunks to the sidewalk because I couldn't get some of it properly on my spoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the laboratorio PR mailing; very nice with a metal spoon enclosed inviting journalists to bring the spoon to the establishment for samples. Cute. Also points to a Web site that doesn't seem to be active.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)