• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pain de Mie

Jim Wills

I've been baking pain de mie for quite a while now, using a standard 13" (33cm)x 4" (10 cm) x 4" (10 cm) pan. Recently, my restaurant gear supplier offered me a French pain de mie pan at a price I couldn't turn down. Problem is, it's bigger, but not double the size. The 13" pan holds 3000 ml of water and the larger pan holds 5000 ml. The larger pan measures 15 3/4" (40 cm) x 4 7/8" (12.5 cm) x 4 3/4" (12 cm). My pullman loaf recipe is specifically for the smaller pan, and I'd like to find a reliable formula to fit this larger size. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I've gone to big and too small. Grrr.

Jim

Hello. I just purchased a large pain de mie pan (16x4x4 according to the catalog)and I have only used it once. I was going to try using it again today with this recipe:

8 oz water

3 Tbl honey

4 tsp yeast

12 oz bread flour

12 oz AP flour

1/2 oz salt

1 1/2 oz butter, softened

8 oz milk

I got this recipe at a breadmaking class I took at the Culinary School of the Rockies. I tried this a few days ago but I went out shopping during the second rise and when I got back the dough had oozed out of the pan and down the counter. I put the escaped dough in another pan to bake but then the pain de mie had a ragged top and didn't look very good (it did taste good). So I'm going to try it again today with less yeast and keep a close eye on it while rising. So sorry I'm not offering a tested formula but I will let you know how it comes out today.

Debbie S.

Hi Jim,

You might want to try this recipe...

700g Flour

490g Milk or half water half milk

7g Dry baker's Yeast

30g Golden syrup

70g Melted butter

14g Salt

The process should be familiar to you so I will not eleborate on it. I hope this will work out well for you. Do let me know...

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

Hello. I made the pain de mie today with the recipe above and it came out great. I did make two modifications. I decreased the yeast to 2 teaspoons and I added an additional 1/2 cup of AP flour.

Don, your recipe sounds great but do you know what would be a Texas equivalent for the golden syrup?

Thanks.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Don, your recipe sounds great but do you know what would be a Texas equivalent for the golden syrup?

You can substitute it with maple syrup or honey, it should be fine.

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

Debby, you can get Lyles Golden syrup at Central market. Also, possibly in Whole Foods. I just picked some up in Austin last week. Then you can also make Anzac biscuits, yum!

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Jim, if you are happy with your existing recipe then just divide the amount of each component by three and then multiply by five. This will scale it for your new pan.

Kind regards

Bill

Jim, if you are happy with your existing recipe then just divide the amount of each component by three and then multiply by five. This will scale it for your new pan.

Bill and All,

Wow :biggrin: first post and so many helpful replies. Thanks everybody. I'll try the suggestions and keep you "posted."

Cheers,

Jim

I've been baking pain de mie for quite a while now, using a standard 13" (33cm)x 4" (10 cm) x 4" (10 cm) pan.  Recently, my restaurant gear supplier offered me a French pain de mie pan at a price I couldn't turn down.  Problem is, it's bigger, but not double the size.  The 13" pan holds 3000 ml of water and the larger pan holds 5000 ml.  The larger pan measures 15 3/4" (40 cm) x 4 7/8" (12.5 cm) x 4 3/4" (12 cm).  My pullman loaf recipe is specifically for the smaller pan, and I'd like to find a reliable formula to fit this larger size.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Right now, I've gone to big and too small.  Grrr.

Jim

the recipe I use for one large loaf is:

410 ml milk

250 ml water

3 T sugar

1000 g flour

18 g salt

100 g butter

1 T dry yeast

• 5 years later...

Bill44, or anyone else who knows:

I have a 9-inch Pain de mie. Can you help me determine how to scale a recipe to fit this pan?

Is it possible that the weight of the dough is the key? Say, using a 1.5 lb. recipe?

Many of the recipes I've seen are written for a 13-inch pan. Is there a formula similar to that given for the larger (15-¾) pan?