• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under $20

Florida Jim

N/V Bottex, Vin du Bugey-Cerdon La Cueille:

8%, pink bubbly, with a fine bead, a fresh fruit taste and made to be drunk ice cold on a hot day – for one glass – the second glass is too sweet. $15, from Kermit Lynch.

2004 Quinta do Ameal, Vinho Verde Loureiro:

Still wine from the loureiro grape at 11.5% alcohol; powerfully scented with aromas of stones, almonds and apples; vinous, bone dry, very slightly bitter, perfectly balanced and quite long. Not what I am used to with vinho verde but certainly a distinctive, savory and character driven wine. Worth every nickel at $10. European Cellars imports.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne La Fortune:

Always, this wine plays in the treble register – it has notes in the bass and mid-range but its delineation and aromatics take it ‘up a notch;’ fantastic with rare, grilled, wild salmon. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit and about $19.

2004 Dom Saint Luc, Coteaux du Tricastin:

My third or fourth bottle of this beautiful, full-flavored but utterly weightless wine; a fine southern Rhone – woven of lace. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit, and, wait for it . . . about $9. Stealing, my friends; stealing!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

N/V Bottex, Vin du Bugey-Cerdon La Cueille:

8%, pink bubbly, with a fine bead, a fresh fruit taste and made to be drunk ice cold on a hot day – for one glass – the second glass is too sweet. $15, from Kermit Lynch.

2004 Quinta do Ameal, Vinho Verde Loureiro:

Still wine from the loureiro grape at 11.5% alcohol; powerfully scented with aromas of stones, almonds and apples; vinous, bone dry, very slightly bitter, perfectly balanced and quite long. Not what I am used to with vinho verde but certainly a distinctive, savory and character driven wine. Worth every nickel at $10. European Cellars imports.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne La Fortune:

Always, this wine plays in the treble register – it has notes in the bass and mid-range but its delineation and aromatics take it ‘up a notch;’ fantastic with rare, grilled, wild salmon. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit and about $19.

2004 Dom Saint Luc, Coteaux du Tricastin:

My third or fourth bottle of this beautiful, full-flavored but utterly weightless wine; a fine southern Rhone – woven of lace. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit, and, wait for it . . . about $9. Stealing, my friends; stealing!

Best, Jim

"I drink to make other people interesting".

So then, if Zin's are Jimi exactly what are Syrah's? :cool:

Raoul

What???

Best, Jim

Jimi Hendrix is to Zinfandel as ??? is to Syrah...

beatuiful and instructive tasting notes, Florida Jim. I'm going to make a note of them and keep an eye out.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Jimi Hendrix is to Zinfandel as ??? is to Syrah...

beatuiful and instructive tasting notes, Florida Jim. I'm going to make a note of them and keep an eye out.

Thanks for the kind words. If you happen to try any of these, I'd be curious as to your thoughts.

I don't think I can fill in the blank, though. My first thought is "syrah from where?" But what I really mean is, I don't think the comparison works - not even for zinfandel.

I've tasted some very elegant, pure zins. and then there's Turley and that ilk. So different one wonders if the same grape was used. Likewise syrah.

And even Hendrix had his slow songs - Rainy day, dream away . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com