• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perlini

lperry

This week Costco has packages of tiny "perlini." They are balls of fresh mozzarella that are less than a centimeter in diameter. I'm envisioning baked pasta with tiny pockets of melted cheese, little marinated balls of mozzarella in a salad, fresh with cherry tomatoes, basil, and balsamic...

Have you seen these? What did you make? What would you make?

Attempt #1 at a warm pasta salad was a success. Orecchiette with fava beans and perlini in an herb vinaigrette with fresh mint and oregano. Probably not a particularly traditional combination, but the little cheeses nestled down into the orecchiette so each bite was a cheese-pasta combination that went really nicely with the herbal dressing. I stole the fava beans + mint idea from the cooking of Liguria thread.

Only two packages to go!

Edited to add: I usually get the Trader Joe's flyer. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Edited by lperry (log)

Thank you for the angel hair suggestion - dinner tonight was much better for it. I made a fresh tomato sauce with oregano and thyme (didn't have basil) and threw in the cheese.

I can see these little things becoming addictive.

I saw them at Andronico's the other day and also got some....I wasn't planning to cook with them, just thought they make good snacks....But now that you mentioned it, I may get some and experiement with cooking....