• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cab Franc?

kcd

Slate article here

The Sad Plight of Cabernet Franc: An underrated grape.

I've always had a soft spot for cabernet franc. I like the grape mainly for its olfactive charm, which is considerable. Along with the usual cherry-and-berry aromas, cabernet franc normally sends up a seductive whiff of herbs, spices, and violets. I get particularly weak-kneed about its sweet tobacco scent (perhaps because my childhood was spent in a cloud of cigar smoke). But the gratification isn't confined to the nose; in cooler climates, at least, cabernet franc yields pleasingly crisp, somewhat rustic wines that stand in welcome contrast to your garden-variety fruit bombs.

An excellent article on this wine ... check it out for yourself! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It is a very interesting article.

Make sure to look at the link to some tasting notes at the bottom.

Here are the wines that they provide notes for:

French Cabernet Franc

Bernard Baudry Chinon "Les Granges" 2004, $12-$16

Charles Joguet Chinon Clos de la Dioterie 2003, $30-$35

Le Petit Cheval 2002, $60

California Cabernet Franc

La Jota Vineyards Cabernet Franc 2002, $60

Lang & Reed Cabernet Franc 2004, $22

Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Franc 2003, $70

Robert Sinskey Vineyards Cabernet Franc 2001, $36

Rubicon Estate Cabernet Franc 2003, $44

New York Cabernet Franc

Schneider Vineyards Cabernet Franc Le Breton 2004, $24.99

Virginia Cabernet Franc

Barboursville Vineyards Cabernet Franc Reserve 2004, $18.99

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"