• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kha Chai

I recently had a deep-fried fish in a sauce of kha chai, red curry, and coconut milk. Absolutely scrumptious! So now I've got a big jar of kha chai slivers (no fresh to be had here) and I'm looking for some other sorts of deliciousness to create with it. What's your favorite?

Do you mean krachai? The brownish, slightly ginger-like root?

The main place krachai is used is in Thai cooking, and even there it's not used that often. If you Google 'krachai recipe' you'll get a bunch of recipes. It's not really a taste to build a dish around, more of an earthy background flavour.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I almost forgot; the most significant use of kra chaay of them all is in the curry paste for kaeng liang, a soup that combines the aforementioned root, peppercorns, dried shrimp and several other indigenous Thai/SE Asian ingredients. It's said to be one of the oldest recipes in Thailand and when done well is absolutely delicious.

Austin

Kra chai is an essential ingrdient in naam ya bpuu, the southern crab 'curry' that's ladelled over kanom jeen (fermented rice noodles). I was told by a vendor who makes a fantastic version that she uses it in excess to add another layer of heat (beyond chilies).