• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the Palm

Kim WB

Yes, great strip steak. And certainly, the atmosphere gets points for authenticity. But the hash browns are burnt, the veggies are served with brown spots, the prime rib is served with what must be a canned mushroom-beef au jus, last night's soft shells were not even cleaned properly...service was terrible...we were pre theater,

( Wicked at the Academy is equal to the bway version..perhaps better) and the hot apps were served to 6 of us, five minutes later the salads came out to the other 4 in our party. 8 of our entrees made it to the table, with that strange 5 minute lapse for the balance of them. We asked for a selection of desserts...so giant slabs of pies and cakes were served...no knives to cut, no portioning.

Service and food at Prime is better , IMO.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I'm guessing The Prime Rib in the Warwick.

I like the Palm alot. And the "tude" and quirky service is part of it.

Surprised about the soft shells. In my experience some of the best in the city. Same with their potatoes.

I've never gone with a big group though. Usually two, four at most. So could be they didn't do a good job with a group. A group taxes a restaurant's capabilities, but the Palf should be able to handle it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I like the Palm alot.  And the "tude" and quirky service is part of it.

I agree with you totally. The Palm is what it is.....most people know exactly what they are getting before they walk through the door. It's the same food and scene at all the locations.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Sorry, Prime Rib @ the Warwick would have been more accurate...but really, string beans with big brown spots? Gigi salad with mushy, mealy ingredients. My son's calamari was really great...not greasy, lightly battered...but that was the high point.

It's my 3d or 4th visit, so I guess I know what I'm getting...but at Luger's, Sparks' Prime, S and W, et al, I'm getting it so much better!

Sorry, Prime Rib @ the  Warwick would have been more accurate...but really, string beans with big brown spots? Gigi salad with mushy, mealy ingredients. My son's calamari was really great...not greasy, lightly battered...but that was the high point.

It's my 3d or 4th visit, so I guess I know what I'm getting...but at Luger's, Sparks' Prime, S and W,  et al, I'm getting it so much better!

Having eaten at Sparks and Peter Luger's dozens of times, you really can't even compare it to Prime Rib at the Barclay, or frankly, any Philly steakhouses.

That said, what you experienced clearly should not have happened there.

I think Capital Grill is the best steakhouse in Philly. Palm is sadly, exactly as described. I've always had great service and food at Capital and when spending that kind of coin for a steak and a la carte side dishes, it damned well better be good.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol