• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marisol defunct

MaxH

One of the more unique and interesting restaurants I knew in New Orleans (or for that matter North America), run by the Vasquez family. Newsletter in the warm weather before the storm proposed nude nights, that's how eclectic. During the disaster, the Vasquezes were busy feeding refugees and sending emergency messages on their still-up online services across the river. Announced Monday they cannot re-open their building and are "put out of business by our insurance company." One off-site event scheduled for March 5.

Story on Marisol Web site.

-- Max

It's very sad, and very common, to hear these kinds of stories these days. Not only that, it happened to really nice people-just like it's happening to really nice people everywhere.

It was a really enjoyable place to eat, always.

And I was so looking forward to nude nights. Nothing like hanging out with all of your friends.

I'll bet he'll be back. Somewhere. Somewhere good. Somewhere better. Soon.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

-- And Marisol's chef (Pete Vasquez) has announced he's running for mayor. An HTML page with photo and slogans was sent to the mailing list (though I didn't find it on a quick check of Marisol's Web site linked above).

Excerpts:

Chef Pete Runs for Mayor

Why Not? Everybody Else Is!

Pete pledges "un pollo in every pot", plus privies that perform.

Perks for "Los Perros" (the pooches). Elect Chef Pete and your dog will be permitted anywhere you are. Even snooty restaurants and the mayor's office. Woof!

One of the more unique and interesting restaurants I knew in New Orleans (or for that matter North America), run by the Vasquez family.  Newsletter in the warm weather before the storm proposed nude nights, that's how eclectic.  During the disaster, the Vasquezes were busy feeding refugees and sending emergency messages on their still-up online services across the river.  Announced Monday they cannot re-open their building and are "put out of business by our insurance company."  One off-site event scheduled for March 5.

Story on Marisol Web site.

-- Max

I was very sad to see this. This is one of the five restaurants/chefs I feature in my book, Creole Nouvelle. As a matter of fact when I took guests to New Orleans, this was often their favorite restaurant. Pete made magnificent food - and sent out nifty lagniappe's - and Janis was alway very gracious.

Creole Nouvelle

He's resurfaced in a weekend outdoor gig at a REALLY funky little winebar called Baccanal,(across the street from the Naval Base). he apparently runs a theme of "world street food". The menue looked interesting along wiht the whole operation.