• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Europe I :Paris 7th, rue de Monttessuy

Daniel

Can anyone point me to a good Absinthe Bar..

Bars

La Perle

78, rue Vieille du Temple in the 3rd, 01.42.72.69.93

Cantada II

13, rue Moret in the 11th

La Fee Verte

108, rue de la Roquette in the 11th

Les Furieux

74, rue de la Roquette in the 11th

Restaurant

L'Absinthe

24, place du Marche St Honore in the 1st

But in my very humble opinion not a place to go for either food or alcoholic things.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thursday, April 13th - 9:00pm L'Astrance Dinner (WE HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO)

9:00pm Pierre Gagnair Dinner (WE HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO)

Based on my experience I would choose L'Astrance. Gagnaire if his meal resonates would probably be a home run. My meal didn't resonate. :sad:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There is a truly wonderful 1 star in the 7th, les Ormes, on Rue Surcouf. It is right around the corner from Thomieux, which should be avoided. Les Ormes has a 45e dinner menu, although with limited choices, so you can eat there for only a little more than Thomieux would cost and it is exponentially better.

I have a theory about restaurants with too many items on the menu, that it is difficult for the kitchen to do so many things well, and Thomieux's menu has a huge number of items, and the things I have tried are just mediocre. To me its only plus is that it is open on Sunday night.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you read A Meal Observed yet?  It's out in paperback now & perfect for the plane in light of your plans for lunch on Monday.

Please take your camera and shoot lots of pictures of markets if you can.

Consider browsing through Chocolate & Zucchini and David Lebovitz's site.

I love Poujauran which is in the 7th (very nice small fromagerie nearby) and Gerard Mulot in the 6th (though the latter's apricot tart will not be in season).

Consider putting together an indulgent picnic and taking the train to Chartres Cathedral late in the morning.

Thanks Pontormo,

I will look into the book.. I will definately take tons of photos.. Hopefully, it will be of Markets and not people getting water cannoned.. :unsure:

I like the picnic idea too...

Thursday, April 13th - 9:00pm L'Astrance Dinner (WE HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO)

9:00pm Pierre Gagnair Dinner (WE HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO)

Based on my experience I would choose L'Astrance. Gagnaire if his meal resonates would probably be a home run. My meal didn't resonate. :sad:

L'Astrance it is Doc.. Thank you..

There is a truly wonderful 1 star in the 7th, les Ormes, on Rue Surcouf. It is right around the corner from Thomieux, which should be avoided. Les Ormes has a 45e dinner menu, although with limited choices, so you can eat there for only a little more than Thomieux would cost and it is exponentially better.

I have a theory about restaurants with too many items on the menu, that it is difficult for the kitchen to do so many things well, and Thomieux's menu has a huge number of items, and the things I have tried are just mediocre. To me its only plus is that it is open on Sunday night.

Thanks 432390,

We have a bunch of openings for meals so I will keep a look out for this place..

My cousin told me he really loves the Gastropubs in Paris.. I am now doing a search for a few of those.. Anyone have any suggestions.. Leaving in like 8 days.. I am really excited..

My cousin told me he really loves the Gastropubs in Paris.. I am now doing a search for a few of those

Daniel, I'd be interested in what he uses as examples. Gastropub is a popular designation in the UK, but in France one mainly hears/sees gastrobistro or gastronomique or other uses of gastro as a prefix. There is no true equivalent of a pub across the channel; the closest would be a bar-café, then a brasserie, then a bistrot. Food critics are forever combining words and frankly I have trouble understanding what they're driving at. It's like a bistro outside of New York/SF; looks like no bistro decor or menu that I'm familiar with.

John Talbott

He told me he preferred Gastro Pubs, but didnt give me any specifics.. This was the guy whose letter I copied on page one of my trip..

3) la regalade- 49 ave jean moulin (14) i haven't been there since

they switched hands. but this used to be my favorite place in

paris. it is the quintessential bistro w/red tablecloths & all.

they used to serve the most amazing pate & bread & gherkins b/f the

meal. i had a delicious brioche & smoked herring that was amazing. also no weekends 01 45 45 68 58

This is one of his suggestions.. I think this was along the lines of what he called a Gastro Pub.. And it also sounds like my type of place..

He told me he preferred Gastro Pubs, but didnt give me any specifics.. This was the guy whose letter I copied on page one of my trip..

3) la regalade- 49 ave jean moulin (14) i haven't been there since

they switched hands. but this used to be my favorite place in

paris. it is the quintessential bistro w/red tablecloths & all.

they used to serve the most amazing pate & bread & gherkins b/f the

meal. i had a delicious brioche & smoked herring that was amazing. also no weekends 01 45 45 68 58

This is one of his suggestions.. I think this was along the lines of what he called a Gastro Pub.. And it also sounds like my type of place..

Then I think we can safely say you're looking for bistros. Now that we have a handy-dandy compendium of threads you might want to check out the Bistro one and purchase Lebey's Guide to Bistrots 2006, 12,50 E and as always read John Whiting's (the King of Bistros) Bistro Guide & Writings.

John Talbott