• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silicone

chiantiglace

Here is information that was sent to me from Dow Corning when I inquired about silicone for molds. I also have a chart that I'd be happy to send to you. PM me your email address if you'd like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've attached a brochure for your perusal.

Ice, chocolate, other candy and specialty foods can be cast or molded into specialty decorative shapes by using silicone rubber moldmaking materials. Silastic® E, Silastic® J, Silastic® L, Silastic® M and Silastic® M-2 silicone rubbers are recommended for these applications because of the food-contact status.

These rubbers, when properly cured and cleansed, are acceptable for food contact in accordance with the requirements of FDA Regulation 21 CFR 177.2600, subject to end-user compliance with any applicable total extractives limitations. This regulation covers rubber articles intended for repeated use.

This FDA regulation is valid for the US only; local regulatory requirements should be taken into consideration for Europe and Asia

Thank you for your interest in Dow Corning ® products and services.

Pete Houck

Product and Services Facilitator

Lubricants/ Mold-Making/ RTV Rubbers

Dow Corning Corporation

"We Help You Invent the Future"

industrial@dowcorning.com

www.dowcorning.com

www.molykote.com

NOTICE: (Please Read Carefully):

Dow Corning believes that any product use recommendation or product information presented is an accurate description of the typical characteristics or uses of the product, but it is your responsibility to thoroughly test the product in your specific application to determine its performance, efficacy, and safety under your conditions of use. Suggestions of uses should not be taken as inducements to infringe any patent. Unless Dow Corning provides you with a specific written warranty of fitness for a particular use, Dow Corning's sole warranty is that the product as supplied will meet Dow Corning's then current sales specifications. DOW CORNING SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND OF FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Your exclusive remedy and Dow Corning's sole liability for breach of warranty is limited to refund of the purchase price or replacement of any product shown to be other than as warranted, and Dow Corning expressly disclaims any liability for incidental and consequential damages.

Good News!! Many Dow Corning technical data sheets as well as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are now available online! Just visit our site:www.dowcorning.com <http://www.dowcorning.com>

You may search under the product name or number, product family or industry. Some of this information is also available in several languages - just choose which country and language you want.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I use Silicon Plastique made by Culinart. It's foodgrade rubber and comes in either a mixture for a solid compund or a thick pourable one. Both set up within 1/2 hour to 2 hours and are freezerproof and somewhat heat resistant.

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

Edited to say : "Ooh....I see they make it in liquid, now, too!" :smile:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

If you don't need to bake with the mold you're making, you might consider a product called "Elastack" as an alternative to Silicone. Its properties are very similar to silicone though it's less expensive and can be reused many times. The reuse angle is also its one drawback since it melts at high temp - so you could use it to mold gelatine that is less than boiling hot, but not molten sugar. It does stay flexible in the freezer like silicone, and contains no water, so it shouldn't bloom chocolate like a gelatine-based mold would.

Earlier thread on Elastack here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=72770