• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foschini's in Lyndhurst

MJP

Hi everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I figured I'd go a little bit constructive for my first time out.

I live in Lyndhurst and don't know why I waited this long to try Foschini's, just on the corner of Ridge Road and Valley Brook Avenue. They do their pizzas as close to real Italian style as I've seen in New Jersey so far; very flat and thin, with just a little bit of crust on the outside. Their margherita is basic, a little bit too heavy on the tomatoes for my taste, but still quite authentic.

They branch out a little on their toppings as well; it's not exactly gorgonzola and porcini mushrooms, but the sun-dried tomato pesto is just tangy and garlicky enough to really round out the sauce. They do take-out and delivery; the eat-in is standard pizzeria fare, IMHO. A good place to bring the kids or do a quick lunch out of the office, but not exactly first-date material. BYOB; there's a liquor store literally right next door.

My advice: order two or three per couple and experiment around with what they've got to offer.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

MJP - thanks for posting about Foschini's. I must have passed it a hundred times and every once in a while I think "hmmmm wonder how their pizza is? Next time I'm in the area I will stop and do a take out as I love thin crust pizza.

Ever since Mr. Brunos Pizza..the very best square Sicilian Pie ever..closed due to relocation..we tried Foschinis. It is good..not great, but good. We have only ordered their regular pie with toppings, and it is good. It ain't Mr. Bruno's, but it is the second best we have found around Rutherford.

Ever since Mr. Brunos Pizza..the very best square Sicilian Pie ever..closed due to relocation..we tried Foschinis.  It is good..not great, but good.  We have only ordered their regular pie with toppings, and it is good.  It ain't Mr. Bruno's, but it is the second best we have found around Rutherford.

When in Lyndhurst try Jo Jo's for the best regular type pizza around.

When I was growing up, my great aunt's summer home was around the corner from a "Pizza/ tavern". Her best friend, an old Italian lady, and I mean old Italian Lady..( she was tough!!!) made the pizzas. There was this wonderful smell wafting from this place when you walked in. I can't describe it, but wow the pizzas were the best !!!

Well, one day I walked into Jo Jo's and OMG, it was the same smell!! I was back there in that pizza tavern, all over again!!! Need I say more.

Where is JoJo's, Cook?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Not to bump my own thread, but Cook was spot-on: this was probably the singular best "Italian-American" pizza I've ever had thus far. I don't know what it was, but the cheese was of a quality I've never tasted before in pizzeria mozzarella, and the crust had a unique, subtle garlickiness to it. My girlfriend approves as well, and due to a garlic allergy as yet unfixable (Yay enzyme pills!) this is the third pizza she's ever had. I'm glad she's had the chance to do two of the best so far! Thanks for the recommendation!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Not to bump my own thread, but Cook was spot-on: this was probably the singular best "Italian-American" pizza I've ever had thus far.  I don't know what it was, but the cheese was of a quality I've never tasted before in pizzeria mozzarella, and the crust had a unique, subtle garlickiness to it.  My girlfriend approves as well, and due to a garlic allergy as yet unfixable (Yay enzyme pills!) this is the third pizza she's ever had.  I'm glad she's had the chance to do two of the best so far!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Think I'll head over there for lunch, today.

Edited by Cook456 (log)