• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Son Cubano

Rosie

We promised Executive Chef Carl Ruiz of Son Cubano, 405 W 14th St, NYC formerly from Cuban Pete’s, NJ that we would visit him at his new haunt. If you liked his cuisine at Cuban Pete’s you will LOVE it at Son Cubano as the menu items are more sophisticated, spicing and ingredients tastier and plating quite impressive.

We were on our way to another event in NY and asked Chef Carl to create a tasting menu for us and to keep it light. We started off with a pitcher of red Sangria and ceviche of marinated shrimp beautifully presented in a coconut shell and extremely tender sliced octopus topped with diced tomatoes, onions, and peppers. This was followed by a mixed green salad with almond crusted Coach Farm goat cheese and a thinly sliced pear dressed with a roasted pear vinaigrette. Next a plantain cup (the only fried item that was served to us) was filled with corn and sausage and topped with rare tuna—delicious. Entrees were a paella made with sable, mussels and clams that is a “must try” if it is on the menu as a special. If not try the paella mariner made with lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp and scallops. Also had a juicy rock Cornish hen that had been marinated in a blood orange, lime juice, oregano and cumin dressing and served with black beans and rice. Dessert was a flan type of custard made with eggs and no milk—wonderful.

We were at the restaurant very early—5:30 and by the time we left it was hopping. It’s quite a scene as is the whole meatpacking district. Phone: 212-366-1640.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Anyone know if there is or will be live music there? Seems natural, given the name, which unless I'm very much mistaken means "Cuban sound." Correct me if I'm wrong; my Italian and French are pretty good when in practice, but my Spanish is piggish. :laugh:

I noticed there's a menu up for them on menupages.com, but it doesn't list any prices. No prices are listed for normal menu items on their website, either. About how much can one expect to spend on appetizers, main dishes, and desserts?

Michael aka "Pan"

According to their web site, "Son Cubano means (the) "Sound of Cuba."

Sadly, the "What's New" page is all about their New Year's Eve celebration (:wacko:), but menus and live music schedules are also there (assuming they're up to date).

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."