• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passionfruit

Cut the passionfruit in half and scoop out the seeds out of the white thin layer.

Sometimes if the fruit is not juicy enough add some water and use a stainer to squeeze out all the juice. It will take quite a few of them .

In my country we had these (we call them markoesa) growing along side our fence like crazy.

I use to make a drink with these and it was the best thing you could have tasted in the hot tropical sun. So thirst queching..... :wink:

If you are using the puree as a base to a cocktail or blender drink I would scoop out the seeds, cut into chunks (remove skin), and add a cup of orange juice and blend until the desired consistency. Depending on their ripeness you may need to add some sugar or honey.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Food uses for Passion Fruit

Food Uses

The fruit is of easy preparation. One needs only cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seedy pulp with a spoon. For home use, Australians do not trouble to remove the seeds but eat the pulp with cream and sugar or use it in fruit salads or in beverages, seeds and all. Elsewhere it is usually squeezed through two thicknesses of cheesecloth or pressed through a strainer to remove the seeds. Mechanical extractors are, of course, used industrially. The resulting rich juice, which has been called a natural concentrate, can be sweetened and diluted with water or other juices (especially orange or pineapple), to make cold drinks. In South Africa, passionfruit juice is blended with milk and an alginate; in Australia the pulp is added to yogurt. After primary juice extraction, some processors employ an enzymatic process to obtain supplementary "secondary" juice from the double juice sacs surrounding each seed. The high starch content of the juice gives it exceptional viscosity. To produce a freeflowing concentrate, it is desirable to remove the starch by centrifugal separation in the processing operation.

Passionfruit juice can be boiled down to a sirup which is used in making sauce, gelatin desserts, candy, ice cream, sherbet, cake icing, cake filling, meringue or chiffon pie, cold fruit soup, or in cocktails. The seeded pulp is made into jelly or is combined with pineapple or tomato in making jam. The flavor of passionfruit juice is impaired by heat preservation unless it is done by agitated or "spin" pasteurization in the can. The frozen juice can be kept without deterioration for 1 year at 0º F (-17.78º C) and is a very appealing product. The juice can also be "vacuum-puff" dried or freeze-dried. Swiss processors have marketed a passionfruit-based soft drink called "Passaia" for a number of years in Western Europe. Costa Rica produces a wine sold as "Parchita Seco."

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

OK,  so let me get this straight. The puree comes from the flesh of the passionfruit and not the seeds? Is that correct?

Yes, it's kind of like a gooey blob with seeds mixed in. (at least the ones I get here are like that) You can cut it open and then slurp the whole thing out if your going to eat it, seeds and all.

Edited by freddurf (log)

I just got done juicing about 50 of them!  I like to put them in my Champion Juicer.  It separates the seeds from the juice beautifly.  If you don't have a juicer, try mashing them in a strainer.

I second the usage of a Champion for anything with small seeds. It also works well on Pomegranates, and to make things even more enticing, can be used for nut butters, and to make chocolate liquor from roasted cocoa beans. Step #2 for making chocolate.

Sincerely,

Alan

^ I love my champion. My favorite thing to do is freeze some pineapple and mango and then put it through the juicer. It comes out like smooth ice cream.

Last night I used it to juice about 300 passion fruits! anyone have any recipes for all this juice?