• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salon Des Vins

eat2much

The last time I went there were tickets that you could buy for a dollar or two apiece and exchange for tastes from the different exhibitors. Prices ranged from a ticket or two for a glass of plonk up to 20 or so tickets for a glass of Grange or Cos...

My recommendation would be to avail yourself of the spit buckets....I didn't and ended up buying a lot more wine than I had expected 'cause I was feeling groovy!

At the last event you could pick up your purchases on the spot or have them delivered to the SAQ of your choice. I chose the latter option and had to wait several weeks for the vino (they were actually delivered the next day but the outlet took forever to call me to let me know that they had arrived).

I have never been to Montreal's Salon des vins. But if it is anything like the Ottawa Wine and Food show, or the one in Gatineau, it suffers from its popularity. I find it so difficult to appreciate great food and wine in such a crowded and noisy athmosphere, often in paper plates, plastic fork and knife and inappropriate wine glass.

Maybe I am just getting too old (even if only in my late 40's). After all in the last few years, the slimness of my waistline has traded place with the broadness of my ideas...

I have been to the Ottawa show the last two years and enjoyed myself immensely. Only place I know of where you can taste about 20 Icewines in a day. (IF you have the stamina.)

But if you're interested in *wine* you need to be there early in the day (when they open).

At first there is an older crowd and not so noisy and packed. OF course after 6 on Saturday it's a wild trolling party for the under 35 set. This year there wasn't much of high end wine, by the second day I was about to scream if a saw another wine label with a cute critter on it. The saddest was a French "wine" in a carboard box by the name "French Rabbit".....

I was surprised that I liked the format with tasting tickets - at Ottawa - worked better I thought then the frenzy of "free" California taste fests (only entrance fees).

Salon des Vins should be fun!