• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okanagan Wines

cru

Does anyone know if any wines from British Columbia, specifically Pinot Noir from Okanaga Valley, make it into the New York market?  And where may I purchase them?

As far as I know most of the wine especially Pinot Noir from B.C. is consumed in B.C. I have seen small amounts at Heathrow Airport in the duty free. You may want to drive to Ontario and see if any of the "Vintages" stores have any on their shelves. Did you have a favourite one recently?

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver, B.C.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

You may want to drive to Ontario and see if any of the "Vintages" stores have any on their shelves.

I have just taken a quick look at the Vintages website (click here) and it appears that the LCBO's efforts in promoting BC wines is even more lacklustre than its efforts with Ontario production. Mostly national brands (Mission Hill, VINCOR, Quail's Gate), and I only spotted a couple of PNs. Quebec is no better by the way (I think the SAQ's actually worse).

The best places I've found to buy BC wines have been at the two Village VQA outlets in Vancouver and a variety of shops in Alberta. Wineries of course will also sell, but the problem with all of it is getting it to New York.

Does anyone know if any wines from British Columbia, specifically Pinot Noir from Okanaga Valley, make it into the New York market?  And where may I purchase them?

it was pretty hard to find B.C. pinot in Seattle, much less the East Coast.

via Wine-searcher, here's a list of NY retailers who carry Mission Hill ice wine -- which should at least be a departure point for figuring out their distributor: Winfield-Flynn, Aulden Cellars, Sound Shore Liquor Pantry (Mamaroneck). no clue if they bring in their non-sticky stuff, though.

but wait! Copaco Liquors in Bloomfield, CT, lists the Sumac Ridge pinot noir and pinot blanc for $12 and under. (this link may or may not work correctly.) so clearly, there's some Eastern distributor bringing the stuff in.

not much luck with some other larger brands: Gray Monk, Quails' Gate.

let me know if you strike gold anywhere ...