• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharp white wines

eipi10

I have difficulty pinpointing the flavors in sharp white wines. For example, today I drank a biting muscadet. If I had to characterize its predominant flavor, I may say grapefruit, but I may also say minerals because it reminds me of the tangy, even salty flavors in a mineral water like Pellegrino. I think in fact that both types of flavors might be present.

Is it my imagination that I'm tasting minerals? I don't know enough about viticulture or biology to know what substances are in wine. I'm a bit suspect of the mineral theory because I don't tend to taste minerals in reds, but I see no reason they would be present only in white wines. Any thoughts?

Good Muscadet usually has a distinct mineral undertone primarily from the terrior of the Loire (lots of ocean influences as well as a those great ancient oyster beds and alluvial river soils). I find that the minerally flavours you mentioned are usually more noticeable in whites due to less flavour profile changes affected by wood ageing. Chablis is a great example...alot is unoaked and has not under gone malolactic fermentation so it is very crisp and showing alot of green tree fruit and mineral elements in the aroma and flavour.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Most of the red Beaujolais that holds my attention has a distinct mineral component. But, then, Beaujolais, especially the non-Parkerized sort, is a lighter, sharper red. I suspect the intense fruit flavours in bigger red wines tends to cover the mineral flavours, along with things like the aforementioned oak treatment. That's even true for some whites. Compare a good unoaked Chabils (all gun-flint and chalk with laser-like acidity) with a fat Mâcon that's seen some oak (butter, vanilla, not very minerally).

Citrus and mineral flavours are typical of many sharp whites, rieslings – especially Alsatian – being a prime example.

I have difficulty pinpointing the flavors in sharp white wines. For example, today I drank a biting muscadet. If I had to characterize its predominant flavor, I may say grapefruit, but I may also say minerals because it reminds me of the tangy, even salty flavors in a mineral water like Pellegrino. I think in fact that both types of flavors might be present.

Is it my imagination that I'm tasting minerals? I don't know enough about viticulture or biology to know what substances are in wine. I'm a bit suspect of the mineral theory because I don't tend to taste minerals in reds, but I see no reason they would be present only in white wines. Any thoughts?

minerals in wines usually present as "metallic" or "stony" flavors. I think "sharpness" is probably more a result of acidity. Acidity makes your mouth water and is felt on the sides of your tongue.

There can also be other things that creates astringency in a white wine.

As for "pinpointing" flavors--some wines are simple rather than complex and broad flavors like citrus and acidity are what the wine is all about.

Also-if a wine is not balanced --some elements can overwhelm others that may be present.

The Muscadet example you provide is a good one. I have tasted a mineral note often in what is usually a simple wine (but sooo good with cold shell fish!). Your brief tasting note is pretty representative of a lot of Muscadets.

Red wines can definitely have mineral notes--some great Burgundies have definite notes of a mineral tang (sometimes iron etc).

Two words: Gruner Veltliner. Much like licking the patio tiles. But delicious wine nonetheless.

Many whites have a distinct mineral undertone (or even overtone in certain examples like Muscadet) and it's most certainly part of their charm.

Next time you have a nice glass of Muscadet in front of you, wash down an oyster on the half shell with it. It's one of the most sublime food-wine pairings I know of.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Two words:  Gruner Veltliner.  Much like licking the patio tiles.  But delicious wine nonetheless.

Many whites have a distinct mineral undertone (or even overtone in certain examples like Muscadet) and it's most certainly part of their charm.

Next time you have a nice glass of Muscadet in front of you, wash down an oyster on the half shell with it.  It's one of the most sublime food-wine pairings I know of.

well put Katie!

couldn't agree more