• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent notes

Florida Jim

2001 Jermann, Vintage Tunina:

A blend of sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, malvasia, picolit and ribolla, with the grapes actually vinified together. This smells of bleach, and honeyed fresh fruit; tastes a lot like good Soave, has excellent concentration and is well-balanced; medium length finish. Lovely wine, with or without food.

With friends over for dinner we tried two bottles of the Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Alberic Bouvet:; the 1999 and 2001 vintages. This was my first side-by-side for these two and there is a substantial difference. The ‘99 has more depth, fruit, structure and overall class. Both are characteristic Crozes and good drinking, but ’01 isn’t really in the same league. Still, nice to try them this way.

2004 Quenard, Vin de Savoie Chignin:

Someone told me this wine was just made to pair with roast turkey . . . and they were right. Floral and red fruity with talc accents on the nose; pretty much the same across the palate with sufficient acidity to keep it bright and almost no tannins; medium finish. Just an ideal wine with the bird and another good example of mondeuse; a grape I’m learning to enjoy.

2004 Domaine de la Fruitière, Jardin de la Fruitière:

An interesting blend of 45% chardonnay, 45% melon, 5% folle blanche and 5% sauvignon gris; unripe pear, alpine flowers and stones on the nose; silky texture in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose and add citrus pith and white pepper flavors, lots of brightness from the melon and good intensity; surprisingly long, mouth-watering finish. ‘Charming wine with a variety of uses and a very tolerable $7, full retail.

2002 Casa Brina, Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato:

Similar to the mondeuse noted above on both the nose and palate with an odd vegetal note on the palate, less focus and intensity. Not up to previous vintages of this wine which were quite appealing.

N/V Jean Milan, Champagne:

(I did not catch if it had any other designation but this is the cheapest of the Milan line-up); clean, crisp and balanced with an exuberant bead and a nice finish. One of my favorite non-vintage bubblies.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

N/V Jean Milan, Champagne:

(I did not catch if it had any other designation but this is the cheapest of the Milan line-up); clean, crisp and balanced with an exuberant bead and a nice finish. One of my favorite non-vintage bubblies.

Most likely this was a Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs. The "basic" Milan offering (gold label with a black oval containing the words "Jean Milan") is a NV Grand Cru BdB.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero