• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My year with wine

Florida Jim

I had a chance to help a friend with crush; everything from pruning, brix readings, picking, sorting, de-stemming, cold soak, punch-down, fermentation, yeast inoculation, pump-over, topping off, tasting and all things in between. It was a very fast learning curve and probably set-the-hook for my future occupation – I can do that.

I learned that some California chardonnay is worth drinking; even buying. The 2003 Aubert, Ritchie Vineyard and the 2003 DuMol, chloe were the wines that turned me around. Maybe next I’ll find a zinfandel I love!

I had a chance to taste some refosco (grape variety) wines (also known as mondeuse in France) and found them falling somewhere between gamay and pinot noir in weight with very interesting berry flavors. I think I like the Italian versions better but more experiments are needed.

Daniel Rogov, noted wine critic and writer, and I got acquainted on-line; essentially, we argued. But in a civil and respectful way, befitting the gentleman he is and the one I want to be. He believes in awarding points to wines based on objective standards that he finds quantifiable in his tastings. I disagree. We had a fairly long on-line discussion about it. Of course, the conclusion is unresolved.

But the best thing that came of it was his final comment that he wished we lived closer together so that we could meet at a café or coffee shop each weekend and talk about wine. To me, that kind of connection is really what this juice is about.

I had a chance to introduce several people to new wines that they had never tried. ‘Even got a chance to introduce someone to wine for the first time. Nothing is quite as humbling to a long-term wine geek as to have the newbie pick out elements in a wine that I missed.

I got to do one of my favorite things; sit out on the front lawn at our patio table drinking rosé and ask my neighbors over for a glass as they got home from work. A nice way to review the day and relax from it.

I moved and as a result, had a chance to design my own cellar in the new house. When it’s done I’ll post a picture, although it won’t be fancy; I’m a function over form kind of guy. But it will be just exactly the way I want it with over-sized racking and plenty of storage despite a relatively small space. It will be immense fun to get my wine out of storage and stock it when complete.

I went to some wonderful parties where wine was served, met some terrific people over a glass or two, and, traveled to places where wine is made and people that love it share it. It’s funny; I can’t remember all the labels and vintages any more but I have very clear recollections of the moments and the feelings. And honestly, that’s why I pour this stuff.

Happy holidays to you and yours and may the coming year bring you such opportunities and memories.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I had a chance to taste some refosco (grape variety) wines (also known as mondeuse in France) and found them falling somewhere between gamay and pinot noir in weight with very interesting berry flavors. I think I like the Italian versions better but more experiments are needed.

Jim, I don't recally reading which producers' wines you've tried. But as you continue your experimentation, I suggest Dorigo, which makes a number of Refosco wines, but some show a bit more oak than others.

Have a terrific holiday season yourself. I admire you for always "getting" what this beverage is about.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Great post, Jim. I agree that wine is all about the interaction with people. 2005 is a year that I took a step back from wine. It is still a big interest and important part of enjoying a good meal, but I had less interest in purchasing and seeking out new wines. This is probably a combination of space available and the stratospheric prices so many wines have risen to. I find that most, while good simply aren't worth those prices. As for seeking out other cheaper wines, I don't really have the space now to store them for experimentation. As such I am only buying wines for very specific reasons such as special vintage wines from birth and anniversary years and wines with other associations like my trip to South Africa.

Happy Holidays and good cheer,

Doc

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz