• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munch on Rodizio

Rail Paul

The Newark Star Ledger's Munchmobile visited several rodizio sites for this week's report. (Munchmobile refers to a team of reporters and guests who gorge on a specific food item in a range of places, and write about it. It's a weekly event.)

They liked Solar do Minho in Belleville, and had some good things to say about Brasilia on Ferry Street in Newark, Casa Nova on Ferry Street in Newark, Seabra's on NJ 21 (the one we DIDN'T go to), and Seabra's Armory in Perth Amboy. Atypically, they visited one place each night, rather than the all you can eat in one day routine which usually characterizes Munch trips.

The Seabra's on 21 had chicken hearts (Wilfrid's already buying a train ticket!), and excellent sausage. Chicken hearts were much better at Solar.

North Jersey Rodizio

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

They usually stay away from places that have had a formal review in the S-L within the recent past.

I'm guessing their one time visit approach clashes with the more studied and formalized process (multiple visits, different days of the week, etc) used by many quality reviewers.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had the rodizio at Iberia but have eaten there and observed - it looked (yes looks can be deceiving) like a slight notch above seabra's on 21 (where I have had the rodizio). I defintiely prefer the atmosphere at Iberia. Haven't been to Brasilia but a friend who's lived in the area most of her life swears by it and won't go anywhere else in Ironbound.

The first eGullet NJ dinner was rodizio at the Seabra's Mediterranean manor on Jefferson street in Newark. I think the consensus was OK to good, but way too salty.

I've had the rodizio at Seabra's 21, I think the Jeff was better. I'd be interesed in hauling some omnivore friends to Iberia and Brasilia to test...

rancho gordo

Salty would be an understatement for what I had at the one on Rte 21. My other two rodizio experiences were in Dallas TX and at Churrascaria Platforma in Manhattan. Churrascaria was by far the best (but way too pricey). Off topic here but have you tried Seabra's Marquiseria off ferry Street? It's much smaller than their other places and specializes in seafood. has bee very, very good on my two trips there.