• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calphalon 8 1/2 qt saucier

andiesenji

While hunting for something else, I came across this.

8 1/2 quart Calphalon saucier with lid

I have this particular piece, however I paid considerably more for mine 4 or 5 years ago. The width is great for browning things evenly and it fits in my small convection oven.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for pointing this out andiesenji, I ordered one yesterday. I've been looking for a pan with that shape that I can take from the stove top to the oven that didn't cost $150.00 plus. Everything I've like so far has been around $200.00. When it get's here I'll let you know what I think. BTW amazon is out of the $49.99 priced ones. I got mine for 59.99 with free shipping.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Thanks for pointing this out andiesenji, I ordered one yesterday.  I've been looking for a pan with that shape that I can take from the stove top to the oven that didn't cost $150.00 plus.  Everything I've like so far has been around $200.00.  When it get's here I'll let you know what I think.  BTW amazon is out of the $49.99 priced ones.  I got mine for 59.99 with free shipping.

Last month, when I got mine, amazon had them on sale for 19.99. I just re-checked my old orders to see if that price was correct.

Don't hit me ... :smile:

I figured that at that price, I could use it as a doorstop and come out ahead. I'd previously bought one at, I don't know, 30 something dollars a year ago and given it to someone, so I haven't actually tried the thing yet.

Here's the "everyday" pan I put on my Christmas list.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10073

Looks like a deal to me, but it is OOS for the time being.

Here's another pan:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=7233

I like the everyday pan better, I think, of the two. Hopefully Santa was on the ball.

Edited by annecros (log)

I've had one for about a year (bought at Amazon for ~$40). Its okay, really nice for big dinner parties, but it's a little bit of an odd duck: Its too wide for my stovetop, and the walls are a bit too thin for it to retain heat like a le cruset. The size is nice (wide and flat) for putting in the oven, though.

For $40 you can't beat it though if you need a mammoth pot to make curry for ten, but I suspect I'll retire it when I have enough cash flow for a proper gigantic dutch oven.

or maybe I'm using it improperly, who knows.

I've had one for about a year (bought at Amazon for ~$40).  Its okay, really nice for big dinner parties, but it's a little bit of an odd duck: Its too wide for my stovetop, and the walls are a bit too thin for it to retain heat like a le cruset.  The size is nice (wide and flat) for putting in the oven, though.

For $40 you can't beat it though if you need a mammoth pot to make curry for ten, but I suspect I'll retire it when I have enough cash flow for a proper gigantic dutch oven.

or maybe I'm using it improperly, who knows.

The kids have all moved out now, so I am in a situation where I am cooking for two most of the time. Difficult.

I've got a dutch oven that size, that gets pulled out two or three times a year these days. I guess it depends upon your situation and lifestyle, but yes I agree it is a deal.

Calphalon 12 quart stockpot $39.00

Another paper catalog from Amazon came yesterday and I found this while thumbing through it this morning.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I simply can't recommend buying any Calphalon product. At one time, I had many of them (wedding registry). Nearly all de-anodized or warped (or both). Bad investment IMO.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I simply can't recommend buying any Calphalon product.  At one time, I had many of them (wedding registry).  Nearly all de-anodized or warped (or both).  Bad investment IMO.

I had one "silver out" (my fault) but they do have a lifetime guarantee. I sent it to them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

The only one I have ever seen warped was left on a high intensity burner empty! Some of mine have had heavy use and are more than 10 years old.

The same person who warped the Calphalon frypan also warped an All-Clad, doing the same thing, put it on a burner, turned it up to high, walked away and left it for almost ten minutes. That one not only warped, the handle rivets became loose. If he had done the same thing with a copper pan, it would have melted.

I got one of these pans when they were $20 also. It isn't very heavy and the shape is fairly useless, but I like it for reducing stocks. The thing it's best for is acting as an ice bath for other large pots.

I had one "silver out" (my fault) but they do have a lifetime guarantee.  I sent it to them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

My problem is no receipt, no gift receipt, no longer the box it came in after moving a couple of times. They've deteriorated with normal use. I've cleaned them according to instructions, and have never abandoned them empty on the stovetop. For me, they're just not a good product.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Brad,

Its kind of OT, but I had a twelve year old Calphalon stockpot, wrecked by a bean burning experience. Obviously no box or receipt, but they honored the warranty no questions asked. You have to mail them the damaged pot at your expense. Then after a while of not hearing anything from anybody, a new pot shows up on your doorstep. No note or explanation with it, but they do honor the lifetime warranty.

Go to their website for instructions.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

I've used it three times and so far love the pan. It does a excellent job of searing the pork chops, chicken and stew meat on my wolf range. I've had the heat med high to high when doing this and it handles the heat well. Many pans overheat very quickly on the burners of my wolf range and then the fond is ruined. As andiesenji said about it fitting in her small convection oven...it fits in mine...but just barely. And as a bonus it has cleaned up far easier than any of our revereware. I have a extensive set of revereware pans(about 35 total) about half of which are copper bottomed and the other half are clad and enjoy them except for the fact that you can't toss em in the oven.

I'm glad I bought this pan and have ordered a couple more in other sizes.

Thanks andiesenji for the heads up.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.